Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super, Duper SWFE

40/70 Benchmark

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's definitely mid-winter stuff out there.  Sub-zero temperatures with wind, and deeply snowpacked roads.  This was a pretty substantial synoptic snowstorm in these parts, better than your average warning event.

Wcte6IO.jpg

yIvkT7O.jpg

Great pics different world up there.

25 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

5F now with high of 8F.  Heading out to give driveway first clearing.  We got somewhere between 10 and 11”, nice top layer of sleet.  Forgot all about the eclipse last night after the games, dang it!

"Only" -3 this AM - points west are colder and windier.  High yesterday was 6, reached at both ends of the 9P-9P obs interval; heaviest snow fell just before/after dawn at a couple degrees below zero.  Dog's evening walk was delayed from the usual 9 PM until 10:40 for some reason.  Could occasionally see a bright spot behind the clouds, so no sense staying up for the 2nd straight obscured lunar eclipse here. 

Event totals: 14.6” Snow/1.46” L.E.

Despite some slight ups and downs in the snow ratios, you really can’t hold tighter to 10 to 1 than this event has done at our site – liquid is one tenth of the snow right on to the hundredth of an inch as of this morning.  We’re still getting some snow, and in their AFD the BTV NWS says the lingering snow from the departing storm is expected to last through much of the day.  So the above may not represent the final storm total, but it’s what we’ve got as of this morning.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: -5.8 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1 to 2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 31.0 inches

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

"Only" -3 this AM - points west are colder and windier.  High yesterday was 6, reached at both ends of the 9P-9P obs interval; heaviest snow fell just before/after dawn at a couple degrees below zero.  Dog's evening walk was delayed from the usual 9 PM until 10:40 for some reason.  Could occasionally see a bright spot behind the clouds, so no sense staying up for the 2nd straight obscured lunar eclipse here. 

You’re certainly colder than us flatlanders.  Don’t know if I’ll bother with the late night lunar eclipses anymore (or is that eclipsi?)  Never see anything.  Google will have a better view anyway.  ‘‘Twas a good game!

Having managed to retain all the creature comforts of modernity, namely power, heat, Internet (thoughts go out to my neighbors without) I can view this ice storm through a more pleasant lense. I took a stroll through the neighborhood and must say the combo of white ground and scintillating trees crackling in the wind presents one of the more novel and beautiful winter scenes I've seen in recent years. That said, there is a lot of damage around here. The birches are all weeping and bent with ice, lots of trees down or liberated of substantial limbs and some, like the attached image, look like a giant clumsily stepped on them. A beautiful winter scene and a silver lining for this winter without a doubt, but certainly will not shift my leery stance towards ice storms. 

image.jpg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

Logan is the one that matters, though, for official records. Looking at Boston Common gives us some hope even in this ratter winter whereas looking at Logan makes one think AGW is taking us to Venus.

Yeah unfortunately that's what goes down in the record books. I guess that's what fell in Winthrop where it's measured. I still have at least 3in of snow on top of cars with over an inch of sleet on top of that, and when you include compaction, even more fell. I guess that wasn't the case in Winthrop