Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super, Duper SWFE

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's part of the process, but the barrier jet is formed when cold air encounters the terrain. It gets banked there plus cools further due to upslope adiabatic cooling. WAA over the top keeps it from rising over the mountains. Then the pressure gradient gets that cold dome to start moving to the S along the terrain. When we anchor the high, that jet can be quite effective at replenishing the supply of cold.

Even with a meteorology degree, you still learn new things almost everyday. Thanks for educating us on barrier jet!

Nice snow right now...probably moderate. Flakes starting to get a little better. So far its been like arctic sand....but we're near 2 inches. So it's nice to see everything covered. Hoping to get a 2" per hour burst for a while at some point.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice snow right now...probably moderate. Flakes starting to get a little better. So far its been like arctic sand....but we're near 2 inches. So it's nice to see everything covered. Hoping to get a 2" per hour burst for a while at some point.

Front is just draining into Lawrence now.

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

Even with a meteorology degree, you still learn new things almost everyday. Thanks for educating us on barrier jet!

No Met degree but was a firefighter back in the day and I remember the discussion of barrier jet by a Met during training.  Big issue in Colorado,  Sierras. Add in nocturnal and things can go to shit in a handbasket very quickly 

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Front is just draining into Lawrence now.

Yeah I've been watching on the wundergorund mesonet site. I wish milfordpal's site was still up...I don't really like the wunderground one, but i don't know of a better one.

Jan20_1215amTemps.png

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't think I recall the wind going NW at the start of a major event...usually that occurs during the lights-out, fraud backlash stage.

Yeah, it's a strong drain..prob funneling off the local topography and making you go NW a bit.

But enjoy the frozen....you're new location is in a perfect spot for these drain events...and then if a CF tries to inch west later on, it won't make it to you. You're locked in.