Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Super, Duper SWFE

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I don't see anything to stop it really...esp in NE MA and SE NH. if anything, we're only more likely to get a mesolow forming out to the east of MA to strengthen the CAD. Outside of being on the wrong side of the CF, the only warming mechanism I can see is latent heat...but once in the barrier jet, it is going to easily offset that I think. The biggest question for me is how far SW that secondary push of cold air gets.

Should be getting to Ray soon.

Just passed through here just north of the border. 24 to 21F in about 10 min

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't see anything to stop it really...esp in NE MA and SE NH. if anything, we're only more likely to get a mesolow forming out to the east of MA to strengthen the CAD. Outside of being on the wrong side of the CF, the only warming mechanism I can see is latent heat...but once in the barrier jet, it is going to easily offset that I think. The biggest question for me is how far SW that secondary push of cold air gets.

I'm watching the station like a hawk...will let you guys know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't see anything to stop it really...esp in NE MA and SE NH. if anything, we're only more likely to get a mesolow forming out to the east of MA to strengthen the CAD. Outside of being on the wrong side of the CF, the only warming mechanism I can see is latent heat release form non-snow ptype...but once in the barrier jet, it is going to easily offset that I think. The biggest question for me is how far SW that secondary push of cold air gets.

I don't see real strong evidence of the coastal front yet for SNE, but it's really sharp just off the coast from PWM (especially on spectrum width).

2 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

8F / 5f. Dumping here now.  Up to 4"  Probably close to 2"/hr stuff right now.  Was supposed to ski Gore tomorrow but threw the old back out this morning putting my socks on.  Will probably be up all night in pain LOL but at least I'll get to watch the storm.  

omg back pain is the worst, I hope you feel better by tomorrow...this will be a great event for your area

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree....128 will not be spared this time.

There's a very possible risk of areas really close to Boston getting big ice in this....gotta watch really closely. Kind of been underplayed a bit in all the threats in this storm. Sneaky cold drain and if a mesolow forms tomorrow AM, forget it.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is like ageostrophic flow?

That's part of the process, but the barrier jet is formed when cold air encounters the terrain. It gets banked there plus cools further due to upslope adiabatic cooling. WAA over the top keeps it from rising over the mountains. Then the pressure gradient gets that cold dome to start moving to the S along the terrain. When we anchor the high, that jet can be quite effective at replenishing the supply of cold.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is like ageostrophic flow?

No ageo is at the surface, a barrier jet is about 1 to 2k 

Barrier jets are formed when at least part of the overall wind flow is perpendicular to a mountain range. In particular, cold air masses — which are very dense — are blocked by higher terrain.

With warmer air above, this lid of stability blocks the air from flowing over the mountaintops. Instead, the airflow becomes parallel to the mountain chain and accelerates into a jet. The highest winds are found on the windward side of the mountain range below the ridge peaks. Wind speeds can exceed 50 kt. Barrier jets have been noted in many locations around the world where there is a combination of cold air and mountainous terrain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's part of the process, but the barrier jet is formed when cold air encounters the terrain. It gets banked there plus cools further due to upslope adiabatic cooling. WAA over the top keeps it from rising over the mountains. Then the pressure gradient gets that cold dome to start moving to the S along the terrain. When we anchor the high, that jet can be quite effective at replenishing the supply of cold.

Yea, the cold drains down and pools against the east slope of the ORH hills.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Took a digger on the steps lol ok just a knee divot swelling  but I had to get out in it. Felt fantastic,  surprised how windy it is. First plow went by since Nov 15, whats 65 days between friends

Be careful please!  But I know the allure for sure...