• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 minutes ago, phoenixny said:

Bitched so many times at New England Blizzard Warnings that never verify! We might have our chance during the next three weeks as someone just posted. I still have a kid at PCSD asking me on Tuesday snow day potential!!! 

PHX is stingy with snow days. What was it last week there was a pretty nasty day where most schools delayed then packed it in for the day. Not Phoenix....

Just now, Syrmax said:

PHX is stingy with snow days. What was it last week there was a pretty nasty day where most schools delayed then packed it in for the day. Not Phoenix....

They should of delayed. Bad call, so will close for sure on next one. My wife said many parents bitched at directly to Super.

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Blizzard criteria is sometimes listed as only needing to have frequent gusts above 35 for the wind component. In that case we verify sometime overnight Saturday. 

I have always thought that it needed to be sustained at 35 with higher gusts. Thanks for clarifying.

Doesn't need falling snow however:

A blizzard is a severe snowstorm characterized by strong sustained winds of at least 35 mph (56 km/h) and lasting for a prolonged period of time—typically three hours or more. A ground blizzard is a weathercondition where snow is not falling but loose snow on the ground is lifted and blown by strong winds.

From NWS:

BLZD
Blizzard- A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer: 
  • Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
  • Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than ¼ mile)

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

It's also important the direction it's coming from..

SWFE do better then true coastal storms that ride up the coast, tracks over nj are probably to far east unless its due north into the hudson..

Thats not true as it depends on the size of the event.  A stacked LP all the way up to H500 over NYC will affect CNY with no problem, unless I'm not following you.

• Like 1

Have learned over the years you don't need super low pressure to get heavy snow but expected this to go under 990. Rapid intensification type stuff. Not in the cards for bombo I guess but maybe when over Atlantic. Think it's gonna look like a beaut on satellite though!

32 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

It does.

This is from the nws website. I just took the training. There is a critical “or” in the wind section 

Blizzard Warning

A Blizzard Warning means that the following conditions are occurring or expected within the next 12 to 18 hours.
1) Snow and/or blowing snow reducing visibility to 1/4 mile or less for 3 hours or longer
AND
2)  Sustained winds of 35 mph or greater or frequent gusts to 35 mph or greater.
There is no temperature requirement that must be met to achieve blizzard conditions.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/WarningsDefined