• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Don't know if this was posted yet but if this is any indication of how the meso's are looking, then we're in for a very heavy snowfall in a short period of time.  This NAM-WRF shows almost an 1" liq eq and thats only up until 06Z Sunday, lol, with another 18hrs and more of precip left, lol!

image.png.1a8bca98e4f165984f3224495d85755b.png

Write up from Channel 9 in Syracuse chief meteorologist Jim Teske:

10419528_733269470076329_450421992121889

I'll just add a few notes for tonight's post about the weekend storm.

IMPACTS: Arrival time looks to be about the same with something early in the afternoon. Remember, just because a Winter Storm Watch starts at 1 pm doesn't mean it starts snow hard at that time. The snow will be steady but relatively light through sunset.

Heaviest snow begins in the evening and peaks overnight Saturday with snowfall rates of 1 - 2 inches and hour.

It seems like the threat for real heavy snow is through about 8 or 9 am Sunday then lighter snow.

However, wind will whip this snow around. It is not a wet snow so I would expect quite a bit of blowing and drifting.

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS: I'm re posting our snowfall accumulation map. When forecasting the snowfall amounts this time around we really keyed in on temperatures. During the duration of the event we should be in the teens, not the 20s to near 30 like you might see in widespread snows like this. Why is this important? With these colder temperatures we end up squeezing more snow. If this snow occurred with a temperature around 25 - 28 we might forecast something closer to 8-12" However, with the colder temperatures we've ramped it up to 12-20" for Syracuse.

LAKE EFFECT: We are still watching for lake effect Sunday night into Monday but two things seem to be working against a big accumulation for Syracuse. 1) The air is trying to dry out and 2) the wind direction seems to be a bit more northerly then the models were forecasting early in the week. Right now the best chance for an additional accumulation from lake effect looks to be over the Finger Lakes west of Syracuse. We'll keep you posted on the exact amounts as we get closer.

That's all for now. Don't forget to join me on Facebook Live Thursday night at 8:45 pm.

No photo description available.
No photo description available.

6 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Dual threads? Oh well here is an ice map...

46c2592fb5b2727adb839a13107efed0.gif

Yeah storm thread and general thread it’s easier to look back on big storms this way. This would go in general thread. There is no ice on Erie yet, I was just at lakeshore just a coating along immediate beach. We got 2-3 weeks of open water.