• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So I read the KBUF AFD this morning, specifically the long range for friday through next Monday. The discuss the perfect set up for cross polar air die to a +PNA and Greenland block supercharging the air as the PV drops to the northern Great Lakes! They state this will have lasting power through the foreseeable future too!!! Elaborate then why the next 3 systems after that all cut west of us giving us rain instead of snow?!?!?! 

They dont mention a greenland block. They use the term ridge. 

5 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Isnt there only really one cold front passage that im seeing for buf anyway?  

The 6z showed the LP for next week Tuesday which has been touted as an area to watch for significant snow potential suddenly shifted north of the CWA and we get rain...the 2 others after are also rain snow mixes...sadly everything between seems to get very cold but dry. Something to watch for sure. I see in wolfies post above the euro still has this opportunity...hopefully it's right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Even the euro has mixing for some for a very short period of time, exact track means everything even when it comes out of canada lol

download.png

I guess I'm missing something. I figured with the PV so close to is that all systems out of Canada would be shunted far south and we'd end up frigid and dry...however the exact opposite seems to be occurring. I guess my rub is it can't be both ways, can it?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I guess I'm missing something. I figured with the PV so close to is that all systems out of Canada would be shunted far south and we'd end up frigid and dry...however the exact opposite seems to be occurring. I guess my rub is it can't be both ways, can it?

The PNA is going neutral/negative which could impact the track of these systems. 

1122790952_pna.sprd2(4).thumb.gif.9e03cf8e451837d9f541d93c8e07c308.gif

• Like 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Yeah. Youre wrong. 

I'll say two things.  One I will be uncharacteristically emotional about the next two weeks because I have a very long and very expensive snowboarding trip booked from February 2nd through February 10th in the 'dacks and vermont; and right now the long range is simply not looking good.  You can't dispute that there are rainstorms on the long range and to be honest the long range forecasts have been very consistent and solid so far this year.  Most storms that appear at day 10 more or less pan out. 

Two, why exactly am I wrong? Give me some hope because all I see is a progressive pattern that fails to lock in any cold for the Northeast.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I'll say two things.  One I will be uncharacteristically emotional about the next two weeks because I have a very long and very expensive snowboarding trip booked from February 2nd through February 10th in the 'dacks and vermont; and right now the long range is simply not looking good.  You can't dispute that there are rainstorms on the long range and to be honest the long range forecasts have been very consistent and solid so far this year.  Most storms that appear at day 10 more or less pan out. 

Two, why exactly am I wrong? Give me some hope because all I see is a progressive pattern that fails to lock in any cold for the Northeast.  

Lol. It amazes me someone can look at the pattern being progged and assume rainstorm after rainstorm for two weeks. 

Enjoy being emotional. Didnt you give up on the last storm a day or two beforehand? The one that gave you almost 18 inches?

eps_t850a_5d_noram_61.png

eps_t850a_5d_noram_41.png

eps_t850a_5d_noram_23.png

eps_z500a_5d_noram_21.png

eps_z500a_5d_noram_21.png

eps_z500a_5d_noram_61 (3).png

eps_nao_00 (4).png

eps_epo_bias (1).png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Lol. It amazes me someone can look at the pattern being progged and assume rainstorm after rainstorm for two weeks. 

Enjoy being emotional. Didnt you give up on the last storm a day or two beforehand? The one that gave you almost 18 inches?"

This is a new and interesting side of you.....way to be a dick.  I certainly did not give up on the last system but when half the models were caving towards a southern solution for a couple days  I certainly was disheartened just like the rest of us.  To be honest, I called for 12 inches in Rochester MANY days in advance and guess how many inches Rochester got, 12 inches on the ****ing money! (Don't believe the airports notoriously bogus ASOS, it always comes in high)  My Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse numbers were damn near spot on.   I never once bought into the hype of the Kuchera clown maps.  I expected it to be a decent storm and maintained course for the most part.  And aside from some isolated locations on the South shore, the lake response was anemic at best.  I got a whopping 3 inches of Lake effect in 36 hours which was more or less exactly what I foresaw.

All I can do is look at model outputs and I don't see a great pattern ahead, I see 4 rain chances in the next 384 hours.  Wouldn't it be nice and more normal to see zero rain chances during what should be the coldest stretch of the season?  Getting rain two days after being subzero is not a good pattern to be in. 

I hope I'm wrong and look like a fool, that would be the best possible outcome.