• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

43 minutes ago, ayuud11 said:

Sadly the last major LES the city proper had was back in October 06, sure we’ve had couple 6-12” events after but that’s the last time we had a big one. We missed out on both ‘10 and ‘14.

Yep it felt more common before 2000. There is a definite shift in wind direction or storm track that's not allowing a long lasting event like 2000 or 85.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I have 3 Jeter rookie cards I got opening packs of cards as a kid. He was one of the main reasons of my love of sports and the Yankees. Can’t wait for his induction. 

My love of the Yankees comes from my father. Of course I’m a little before you, my first  hero was Mickey Mantle. Didn’t know of his off field activities back then. 

Yep it felt more common before 2000. There is a definite shift in wind direction or storm track that's not allowing a long lasting event like 2000 or 85.

It’s all a big cycle. GET THE BOOK... you’ll see! Metro has a history of going years with no major events and then usually follows it up with a more active stretch of storms... Here’s a few tid bits...
753d9a1fbbc280a19cc903fb65275dfd.jpg
918c5391b9d118dacdd7cc3e2c0d0df8.jpg
3aa47c303388038da59102053d85388e.jpg81f270b05a6e29d69397d6966cdde5f9.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly the last major LES the city proper had was back in October 06, sure we’ve had couple 6-12” events after but that’s the last time we had a big one. We missed out on both ‘10 and ‘14.

I’d be interested to see what everyone around here considers a big one. Here’s our top 20 snowfalls. List was last updated 2011... I don’t believe 2014 would of cracked the list from KBUFs standpoint. Two big things stand out to me...
1. It only takes a 16” snowfall to make the top 20 list over 129 seasons of record. Think about it this past snowstorm we had I believe the 24 hour total came in at 12.7” that’s only 3.5” off from a top 20 snowfall!
2. Take a look at the top of the list... The majority of the 20” plus snowfalls all took place in our life time. Maybe somethings up? Maybe we just got spoiled? I think we all just have super high expectations of what the big one should be after 2014...

Thoughts???

e59b2cffe4b25234629230676a51b70e.jpg

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I’d be interested to see what everyone around here considers a big one. Here’s our top 20 snowfalls. List was last updated 2011... I don’t believe 2014 would of cracked the list from KBUFs standpoint. Two big things stand out to me...
1. It only takes a 16” snowfall to make the top 20 list over 129 seasons of record. Think about it this past snowstorm we had I believe the 24 hour total came in at 12.7” that’s only 3.5” off from a top 20 snowfall!
2. Take a look at the top of the list... The majority of the 20” plus snowfalls all took place in our life time. Maybe somethings up? Maybe we just got spoiled? I think we all just have super high expectations of what the big one should be after 2014...

Thoughts???

I think I had 5 20"+ events in 2014-15 alone. Southtowns get hit so much harder then the city. 

7 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Thoughts???

Variance is the bastard of life. The Metro needs almost a perfect wind so it's not that surprising it doesn't get that many big events.  South Cheektowaga and West Seneca are close to the metro but just that little bit gives them a lot more flexibility which only keeps increasing the further south you go until you hit ski country

Looks like a nasty commute tomorrow morning.

Even if the mixed precip doesn’t pan out the fact the roads are still crap right now add on some rain and they’ll be slick as heck tomorrow. Hopefully they’ll be out tonight scrapping them down and pre treating with some salt slurry. They did a pretty miserable cleanup job this past storm and I usually cut them a lot of slack.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Even if the mixed precip doesn’t pan out the fact the roads are still crap right now add on some rain and they’ll be slick as heck tomorrow. Hopefully they’ll be out tonight scrapping them down and pre treating with some salt slurry. They did a pretty miserable cleanup job this past storm and I usually cut them a lot of slack.

when it gets that cold out that almost impossible to clean up the roads. Plows get the majority off snow and then the salt gets the rest but when it's that cold the salts efficiency is so low they can't really do anything but major roads.