SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MLK Weekend Event - Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

Bob Chill

14 minutes ago, yoda said:

FWIW, CTP went WSWatch for the counties bordering the Mason-Dixon line

And PIT issued WSWatch for Garrett/Tucker/Preston

Here's the text of the WSWatch for the mountains...should be a fun event there this weekend...hoping this afternoon's Euro with the warmer solution isn't right.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
254 PM EST Thu Jan 17 2019

MDZ001-WVZ512>514-180400-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WS.A.0002.190119T1200Z-190120T1800Z/
/O.CON.KPBZ.WW.Y.0005.000000T0000Z-190118T1500Z/
Garrett-Eastern Preston-Western Tucker-Eastern Tucker-
Including the cities of Mountain Lake Park, Oakland MD,
Grantsville, Terra Alta, Rowlesburg, Hazelton, Parsons,
Hendricks, Saint George, Davis, Thomas, and Canaan Valley
254 PM EST Thu Jan 17 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST
FRIDAY...
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
SUNDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Snow today. Heavy mixed precipitation possible this
  weekend. Snow accumulations of 1 to 4 inches is expected through
  tonight. Additional snow accumulations of 2 to 8 inches and ice
  accumulations of up to one tenth of an inch is possible
  Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon.

* WHERE...In Maryland, Garrett County. In West Virginia, Eastern
  Preston, Western Tucker and Eastern Tucker Counties.

* WHEN...For the Winter Weather Advisory, until 10 AM EST
  Friday. For the Winter Storm Watch, from Saturday morning
  through Sunday afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute.

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

hoping someone can help. my bestie is off to ski this weekend in VA (the place starts with an 'M'?) i need to let her know whether she should drive home saturday, or sunday. 

i think sunday is safer...sat pm and sat night could have ice issues up there

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

hoping someone can help. my bestie is off to ski this weekend in VA (the place starts with an 'M'?) i need to let her know whether she should drive home saturday, or sunday. 

I am assuming she is at Massanutten which is close to Harrisonburg? If so, she wont see any snow/ice coming up 81 until she gets around Winchester on Saturday is how it looks on the Euro. 

Just now, mappy said:

Might be Massanautun (I can't remember how to spell that at all lol). I'd say Saturday if she doesn't mind the rain during the afternoon or evening. Sunday morning is when the front rolls through and we should improve precip wise by the afternoon. It'll be pretty windy though. I'd say Sunday just so she's safe from the precip. 

7 minutes ago, Ji said:

i think sunday is safer...sat pm and sat night could have ice issues up there

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am assuming she is at Massanutten which is close to Harrisonburg? If so, she wont see any snow/ice coming up 81 until she gets around Winchester on Saturday is how it looks on the Euro. 

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Might be Massanautun (I can't remember how to spell that at all lol). I'd say Saturday if she doesn't mind the rain during the afternoon or evening. Sunday morning is when the front rolls through and we should improve precip wise by the afternoon. It'll be pretty windy though. I'd say Sunday just so she's safe from the precip. 

yes, Massanutten (thanks, couldn't remember the name). My understanding is she is traveling through Northern VA, as she has family near Purceville, so i'd assume she has to drive back that way first before heading north. so i'll tell her sunday.

thanks, guys! 

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

If I can get some guidance too on upcoming travel plans, I would really appreciate it. 

I am flying out of BWI this weekend. With the upcoming dicey forecast, I bought two flights with points- one is leaving Saturday at 11:05 AM and the other one leaves Sunday at 10AM. Whichever one I decide not to use, the points will just go back in my points bank. I just need to make sure I get out this weekend.

Which one do you think I should go for/ will have the best chance of getting to the airport and taking off? 

Thank you in advance, so much. I will be driving to the airport from HoCo.

2 minutes ago, ECsnowflake said:

Hi everyone,

If I can get some guidance too on upcoming travel plans, I would really appreciate it. 

I am flying out of BWI this weekend. With the upcoming dicey forecast, I bought two flights with points- one is leaving Saturday at 11:05 AM and the other one leaves Sunday at 10AM. Whichever one I decide not to use, the points will just go back in my points bank. I just need to make sure I get out this weekend.

Which one do you think I should go for/ will have the best chance of getting to the airport and taking off? 

Airports close for rain now? I'd be more worried about the lack of TSA agents

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ECsnowflake said:

Hi everyone,

I would fly on Saturday. but just for comfort. It is going to be windy as crap on Sunday. And I cant stand rough flights.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

The NAM definitely is making me raise an eyebrow. So close to subfreezing for the whole storm down here in Charlottesville. 

Really.  Interesting.  With snow on the ground good things can happen.  Or not.  Would rather have it even 1 degree can make a difference 

4 hours ago, nj2va said:

Here's the text of the WSWatch for the mountains...should be a fun event there this weekend...hoping this afternoon's Euro with the warmer solution isn't right.

Had plans to go to Canaan, really hard call on what it's going to be like up there.  They've gotten rain from a bunch of storms in Dec but above 3,000 feet there might be enough cold for this not to be a total disaster.  I like the 2-8 inch forecast...  reallly you could almost say 0-12" because it could easily bust high or low up there.

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Ice potential per CTP  . I couldn't find  LWX .You can get the idea for the nw crew. North Baltimore co. on west in the threat . Catoctins look to be .20" ish and of course this will change in nowcast mode no doubt .

StormTotalIceFcst.png

Im expecting an inch or so of snow/sleet Saturday afternoon followed by some ZR and changing to plain rain after midnight. Was  hoping for more of an impactful event in the northern tier but looks unlikely now. I'm becoming skeptical I see any snow at all being on the southern edge, but any snow is good snow. 

Ready to get the pattern change in full swing and start tracking our KU lol.

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Ice potential per CTP  . I couldn't find  LWX .You can get the idea for the nw crew. North Baltimore co. on west in the threat . Catoctins look to be .20" ish and of course this will change in nowcast mode no doubt .

StormTotalIceFcst.png

Yeah. That is ugly. .25 ice on top of the way my neighborhood roads look will be something else. And the thing is even if you rain for the majority of it. You are gonna flash freeze whatever you have. Monday morning is gonna be nasty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

These events seem to always come down to the hour if not while unfolding before our eyes . The bolded is probably a decent call . I Personally  think a mini snow thump is still possible 1-4" up along the M/D line west of 83 . I also think there's a reasonable chance the zrain holds on longer . Still 36 -48 hrs out.. will be fun tracking :D

I remember an April or Late March event a couple years ago where some thought we would see a slushy coating before the changeover to rain, but somehow parts of Carroll county stayed snow and got like 8"... I would never underestimate the chances of a surprise thump somewhere in jackpot land.

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. That is ugly. .25 ice on top of the way my neighborhood roads look will be something else. And the thing is even if you rain for the majority of it. You are gonna flash freeze whatever you have. Monday morning is gonna be nasty.

Here's the relevant 6 hour map from LWX. It also has 0.01" - 0.10" in Winchester for the following 6 hour period.

IceAccum6hr_SFC9.png

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

Had plans to go to Canaan, really hard call on what it's going to be like up there.  They've gotten rain from a bunch of storms in Dec but above 3,000 feet there might be enough cold for this not to be a total disaster.  I like the 2-8 inch forecast...  reallly you could almost say 0-12" because it could easily bust high or low up there.

Yeah we're hosting some friends at our place in McHenry this weekend...we had plans to ski this weekend but will probably go on Sunday since it'll flip back to snow on overnight into Sunday in Deep Creek.  The mountains won't stay frozen the whole time...I expect a period of rain especially for the highest elevations in WV.  CAD doesn't hold on long at the highest elevations in these setups when we have an inland runner with a strong WAA push.  We'll flip to rain Saturday night if I had to guess.

• H2O unpinned this topic