• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MLK Weekend Event - Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

Bob Chill

Did some hiking this morning around 2000' here in Berkeley County.  Temp was down to 20 when we left.  Winds were frequently gusting above 45 mph.  About 6" of average snow depth vs. the 4" here in the valley.  And much more ice on the trees from last night's freezing rain up there.

image.thumb.jpeg.ca973980b196ff361bf011c54f6037bc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.301c26315dcb4ed3bf4a0ad86364b4be.jpeg

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, arlwx said:

A threat of a blue norther.

Pre-dawn, DCA topped out at 56.

As of 1252 pm, back down to 35. 

How many will slip and fall coming out of sports bars/etc even if they were designated drivers?

Edit: WTOP just announced its barometer hit 29 degrees at 130 pm.

A purely unofficial obs, but I did stumble up out of the LR easy chair between 3:30-4 a.m. today to drag myself up to bed, and saw when glancing at the thermometer on my way that the temp IMBY had risen to 53 degrees. I rolled out about 9 a.m., and it was back down to 40 degrees, and is now 35/19. Though we're under a wind advisory, wind gusts haven't been that bad...perhaps up to 40 mph, and ~15-20 sustained.

This was no "Flash Freeze" like they were predicting several days ago.  It was 48 degrees when I got up yesterday morning and then 12 hours later, it was 28.  So, it was a gradual, consistent drop.  No 20 degree nose dive in a couple of hours like they were advertising.  Basically just a rainstorm with an ensuing Arctic blast which will last all of 2 days.  

• Like 1

High temp so far here at midnight was 13.  NWS has the afternoon forecasted at 15.  Last time my station stayed in the teens was last January, on the 5th (16 degrees) and 6th (17 degrees.)

Feb 2015 had 3 days with highs in the teens (15th at 16, 16th at 15 and the 19th at 16.)  January 2014 also had 3 days (13 on the 7th, 17 on the 22nd and 15 on the 28th.)  Will be interesting to see where today ends up against these.

2 hours ago, Danajames said:

This was no "Flash Freeze" like they were predicting several days ago.  It was 48 degrees when I got up yesterday morning and then 12 hours later, it was 28.  So, it was a gradual, consistent drop.  No 20 degree nose dive in a couple of hours like they were advertising.  Basically just a rainstorm with an ensuing Arctic blast which will last all of 2 days.  

That whole "flash freeze" thing is another hyped weather myth. In many years in  this hobby, I've never seen it. Unless you count a couple frozen puddles here or there.

• H2O unpinned this topic
49 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

That whole "flash freeze" thing is another hyped weather myth. In many years in  this hobby, I've never seen it. Unless you count a couple frozen puddles here or there.

I disagree on the flash freeze being a myth, but I do agree that it doesn't happen with the passage of an arctic front like yesterday. Downsloping winds pretty much rule that out for us. However, there have been several instances of flash freezing in our area particularly after a cold rain event in the early morning hours with the right conditions. If the rain stops at night and the skies start to clear right around sunrise, roads can suddenly become skating rinks. The weird part about it is that air temperatures don't have to be below freezing. As long as they are close to freezing and skies start to clear, ice forms. I think it has something to do with the conditions for rapid evaporation, but that's only a guess.

If the storm this week was 6-12 hours slower, it would be one that could have brought those conditions early Friday morning. But since it's expected to end Thursday evening, it probably won't.

• Like 1