Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK Weekend Event - Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

Bob Chill

23 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

This isn’t going to work out at all for the metro/I95 crew...track and eroding cold just doesn’t work. Now along the PA line where there’s still more snowpack and cold holds a little longer, I think 1-3 is possible in the east, meaning extreme northern Balt County, Harford and Cecil with 2-4 poss in west...northern Carroll, Frederick and Washington County

thanks for the insightful information! i had no idea what to expect IMBY

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

12km NAM is certainly more aggressive with erosion of cold air compared to the Nest, but the overall synoptic setup is similar, so I probably lean with the NAM Nest in the overall depiction. Basically an hour or two of snow for our western crew and 2-3 hours for the northern tier followed by ice. Small nose above freezing around 800mb should shift the ptype to sleet/ZR. H85 winds will be pretty brisk out of the south and southwest, so odds are some significant warming will occur in the latter frames of the Nest. However, the CAD wedge is pretty entrenched so temps will be slow to rise for areas north of I-70. A slightly colder onset would probably shift the ice potential to I-70, but the M/D line and 81 corridor will have the highest chance of impact for frozen. It's a shame this antecedent airmass isn't better leading in. This could've been a nice surprise.  

The ICON says it will be. But I know you said it's probably too cold of a model.

• Like 1

Just now, Fozz said:

The ICON says it will be. But I know you said it's probably too cold of a model.

You never know. It's been steady on the idea last few days. Would be nice to see it right on that look. It's certainly a best case scenario and basically my outline for how it gets better for the northern tier north of I-70

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Just a basic question.

Is the ICON shown that is the least bit reliable? I have the same feeling about the FV3 and the NAM passed 24 hours. Joke models for entertainment only.

I wouldn't base a forecast off of it if that's what your asking, especially since its on its own with both the size of the initial thump and with the wraparound.  GFS has been warmer west then all other guidance.  UKMET is closest with the EURO in-between the two camps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PivotPoint said:

Yea, what is he seeing as more north. Came in slightly weaker which is probably good for us. Not great for NY/VT snows

glad we got our 30 hour/10 inch snow last weekend.  Tough to top that kind of duration and may prove to be the event of the winter for at least the southern half of the forum. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

glad we got our 30 hour/10 inch snow last weekend.  Tough to top that kind of duration and may prove to be the event of the winter for at least the southern half of the forum. 

The previous event is top 3 in my book for last 10 years. Just because it literally snowed Saturday, Sunday, Monday from the same storm. And Sunday afternoon for those who kept the faith were then rewarded when the radar lit back up and it just dumped for like 6 more hours. Awesome event 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I wouldn't base a forecast off of it if that's what your asking, especially since its on its own with both the size of the initial thump and with the wraparound.  GFS has been warmer west then all other guidance.  UKMET is closest with the EURO in-between the two camps.

Does the UK catch us with anything from the departing low or is it all front-end?  

Just now, LP08 said:

Maybe some light stuff but not anything like the ICON.

Man, the ICON really is eye candy.  Temps crash and we go over to sleet/freezing rain then 1-3+ inches of snow with the departing CCB.  Really doubt it happens since that's a pretty rare event and no other model has that but it sure is pretty to look at.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Is the ICON shown that is the least bit reliable? I have the same feeling about the FV3 and the NAM passed 24 hours. Joke models for entertainment only.

The ICON is not a bad model.  I think last year it seemed to struggle more with big storms, but I'd rather see it showing snow than no snow.

The FV3 generally posts better verification scores than the GFS and has done better than the GFS for our last two storms.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

glad you did too!

but regarding this event:

LWX has an "enhanced" threat level for Saturday and Sunday, west of 95. 

D3_WinterThreat.png

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Yea, what is he seeing as more north. Came in slightly weaker which is probably good for us. Not great for NY/VT snows

In fairness the GFS cut back on the snow in northern MD from about 6" to 3" so it did shift the WAA thump north but that was not really due to the storm going north but simply meso scale features and where and how heavy the WAA thump sets up.  

• Thanks 1

• H2O unpinned this topic