Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MLK Weekend Event - Making Lemonade Out of Lemons

Bob Chill

5 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

How does the low go from over snowshoe, wv at 90hr to the VA / NC border at 93 hr?

It's just the L stamp making it confusing. The area of low pressure is stretched/elongated along the the boundary. If you look at the isobars and ignore the L stamp it's less confusing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I'd only monitor the GFS for the upper level features and placement of the SLP with track. The GFS thermals are just not going to handle the setup well as it under analyzes the strength of CAD and will have a significant impact on the precip forecast algorithm. ICON did well with the last storm, but it MIGHT be too cold. We shall see. Better hedge for now is to monitor the progression at H5 in conjunction with the MSLP forecast with thermal layer forecast becoming more honed within 48 hrs of the event. Think ice could be a problem just east of the BR and our far northern tier with modest impacts felt to I-70 corridor. We've seen this type of setup numerous times. Remember climo and intertwine that with what models are spitting out. NAM nest and other short term guidance will be better tools close in to convey CAD strength and other mesoscale factors. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro brings max gust winds over 50 mph as the artic front passes Sunday am and its still has precip around . Geez...Monday is insane in the membrain... highs 7-13 area wide  with gusts 30 - 35 +. I'm suppose to be running an outdoor feeder wire to a garage that day :yikes:

Do you have access to the 18z Euro? Hearing it's not quite as good as the 12z for the northern crew?

8 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Do you have access to the 18z Euro? Hearing it's not quite as good as the 12z for the northern crew?

18Z looks ok for our neck of the woods.  We lose 850's by 10 p.m. Saturday evening, which is a few hours quicker than 12Z.  Surface freezing line south of us looks the same as 12Z at that time though.  We are straddling 32 by 4:00 a.m. Sunday but by then well over 0.50" of something frozen has fallen.  The cold front is already pushing in from the northwest by early in the morning on Sunday.

heres a clown map:

image.thumb.png.e828c04376314c6e295470c8d940d64a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro brings max gust winds over 50 mph as the artic front passes Sunday am and its still has precip around . Geez...Monday is insane in the membrain... highs 7-13 area wide  with gusts 30 - 35 +. I'm suppose to be running an outdoor feeder wire to a garage that day :yikes:

Are you describing the 12z run or 18z run?

17 minutes ago, Hurricanegiants said:

This is why I love this forum. Real experts (which I am not) and great analysis.  Then you have the iPhone weather app that makes you believe the sky is falling snow every other day. 

AF52F38E-FD07-460D-9A3C-348159E9D671.png

That Temps going to jump from 19-27 between 11:59PM Monday and 12:00AM Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Man could you imagine even like 0.3" ZR on the trees then a flash freeze into the single digits with wind? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

That's extreme as it gets for this area.. no doubt very anomalous if it were to go down like that . We've seen these events time after time be under modeled up to the hour its happening even by mesos which do better with thermals.  My money is on a prolonged mix event after a brief period of snow to start for northern Md . 

I agree for northern md. Models tend to hold onto 850's too long and also scour out CAD to fast. Good recipe for a prolonged freezing rain event. some of the models are giving quite the thump of snow along the m/d line, but I'm skeptical of that. I'm think an inch or so at best.  Hope I'm wrong

• H2O unpinned this topic