Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not sure if it will be the dominating ptype...I'm expecting a lot of SNE to get a good thump of snow on the front end. But there's definitely not a huge gap between that and a lot more ZR. I still in my gut think more IP than ZR if we flip over....the airmass is frigid. Gonna need to really torch aloft to get ZR. +3C warm layer isn't gonna get the job done in this setup i don't think.

Once you start getting >+3c in that warm layer you nuke the ice nuclei pretty quickly - unless the warm layer is super shallow. Even if you're 10F in the boundary layer you're going to get ZR with an all liquid drop. 

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Good, So now we can go from being 87 hrs out to 84....................:lol:

yeah heh...we laugh but... I was just noticing the NAM did speed up the entire system positioning in the flow by several longitude degrees between just the 06z and this 12z runs ...  

Again, I think we need to get this thing off the Pac and well physically sounded.. If the southern stream is powerful enough to overcome the compression signal ...which concomitantly trying to flatten this into the W-E within the fluid medium/propagation ... then the concerns go back the other direction. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

At work icon has limited maps and the fact I was looking to begin with is a problem. But yeA thanks, temps are frigid, that’s alot of ip/zr. Good luck.

Ya not ideal lol I don’t mind sleet but if it’s going towards ZR than I would rather just torch’s 

10 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Once you start getting >+3c in that warm layer you nuke the ice nuclei pretty quickly - unless the warm layer is super shallow. Even if you're 10F in the boundary layer you're going to get ZR with an all liquid drop. 

If the cold layer is pretty deep (800-1000m or more) and at least -8C or so...then you can start refreezing them pretty easily...esp since you start to get poorly formed ice crystals in the cold layer for the drops to freeze onto when you are colder than -8C. But that will be much tougher if the drops are warm...so the warmer/deeper the elevated warm layer, the better for preventing that.

Though admittedly, those conditions become hard to achieve the further you swing into one extreme,....usually a 4-5C warm layer will have a shallower layer of colder underneath it that has a hard time reaching -8C or being deeper than 800m.

37 minutes ago, Tiktock said:

UGH  I love and need snow but also want my diesal tractor with its snowblower to start, as well.  Super low temps plus diesel=frustration.  Should have installed that block heater but how often are we clearing plowable snow at single digit or below temps?  Never!

Throw a shop light under the engine cover.  Incandescent of course!