• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

man there are some horrible posts going around social media. Saw someone say this could rival the Blizzard’s of 73 and 13 here in CT...lol. 

I’m liking a swath from ME back through central/southern NH, central/southern VT back through W MA...maybe NW Hills and down through NY for the highest snows. Maybe a 10-14” range. 

Thats a lot about this that continues to be rather puzzling. I think we’re looking at a relatively short-ish window for the majority of the precipitation (maybe 8 hours?) which will hurt the snow maps showing like 20+”.

Even in a situation where this isn’t as amped as what the GFS shows there is going to be a ton of WAA and warmer air drawn into the circulation so even if it tracks say over CT I think we still bring in shallow llvl warmth. We had a situation like this last winter I think. 

Tried looking at a few euro products and something seemed really off with the snow map and those insane totals...particularly here in CT. The sfc/850 low track didn’t seem favorable for that result, however on Ryan Maue’s site there isn’t much in the way of 700mb products. 

I’m sure there will be a swath of some pretty decent freezing rain...but I also wonder if the heaviest precip is done before the thermals change to favor freezing rain. 

I think here in CT we see 4-7” of snow (all within a brief period) and then get some transition over to icing and then even sleet/rain. Not sure where the boundary sets up. 

Seeihg how quickly CAA gets involved and dry slot quickly racing NE has me wondering about longer duration precip 

Our storm is raising blizzard warnings in the Sierras ... and wind warnings to a lot of lower elevations to the west.  Almost El Nino looking ;)  

...almost...

But, often times bigger events start leaving calling cards in the west ... the old, "this system has a history of ..."  

Just a reflection of being very dynamic /powerful mechanically... 

18 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

man there are some horrible posts going around social media. Saw someone say this could rival the Blizzard’s of 73 and 13 here in CT...lol. 

I’m liking a swath from ME back through central/southern NH, central/southern VT back through W MA...maybe NW Hills and down through NY for the highest snows. Maybe a 10-14” range. 

Thats a lot about this that continues to be rather puzzling. I think we’re looking at a relatively short-ish window for the majority of the precipitation (maybe 8 hours?) which will hurt the snow maps showing like 20+”.

Even in a situation where this isn’t as amped as what the GFS shows there is going to be a ton of WAA and warmer air drawn into the circulation so even if it tracks say over CT I think we still bring in shallow llvl warmth. We had a situation like this last winter I think. 

Tried looking at a few euro products and something seemed really off with the snow map and those insane totals...particularly here in CT. The sfc/850 low track didn’t seem favorable for that result, however on Ryan Maue’s site there isn’t much in the way of 700mb products. 

I’m sure there will be a swath of some pretty decent freezing rain...but I also wonder if the heaviest precip is done before the thermals change to favor freezing rain. 

I think here in CT we see 4-7” of snow (all within a brief period) and then get some transition over to icing and then even sleet/rain. Not sure where the boundary sets up. 

Seeihg how quickly CAA gets involved and dry slot quickly racing NE has me wondering about longer duration precip 

Paul , dry slot? FYI you can see 7H at weather.us This is the warmest over CT on the Euro 12Z

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019011612_99_504_446.png

Yeah..... I'm not going with the GFS is a terrible model meme - no way... Not when this thing isn't even sampled in the physical sounding grid.....

I mean I get where y'all's comin' from but ...  it could still be right - even if we doubt it.

You now, if a GFS low attempts ... a compromised occluded/triple point run out underneath and damaging ice after a half foot wallop would atone for that cold BL/backed by high pressure just fine...

I mean, there's little imagination being supplied to compromises so... I'd hold off the ridicule... 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Paul , dry slot? FYI you can see 7H at weather.us This is the warmest over CT on the Euro 12Z

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019011612_99_504_446.png

Didn’t mean dry slot in a bad way...just meant it looks like it could push in by 12z...I thought anyways. 

WTF...that is offered on weather.us for free but nothing like that for the $10 a month package

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Thats a great forecast, IMO.  Pretty much identical to the EPS highest probability snows.   And I agree on the amounts.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong but the all-snow 2"+ QPF amounts seem very hard to believe.  I feel like we've seen it in big storms where the WCB is progged to be obscene, and it is, just not at .75-1" QPF in 6 hours type deal in the snow column.  It still comes in like a wall but I could see us looking at like the HRRR hours prior and it wants to reduce QPF by like 30% of what the globals were showing for days.  

I think there was a March storm (two winters ago?) where the Euro kept printing like a wall of extremely heavy snow moving north into New England and while it was heavy, it wasn't like a foot in 6-8 hours heavy that the model was advertising.  But even in that one after looking at it in the models for days you started to think well it must be true?  A wall of 6-hrly QPF of like 0.8-1.0" stuff turned into 0.5-.7".  Still a heavy thump but toned down.