Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

Trends are great in CT for anyone who ever wanted a skating rink in their yard. Flooding rain followed by a flash freeze. I always said I’d prefer a 50 degree rainstorm to a crushing ice storm...I guess I should be happy.

Don’t be surprised when even your area struggles to 32. Listen to Will . Surface ain’t warming away from water 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not unhappy here. If we cant all snow sleet  then wash it away before a yard skating rink sets up. Dogs could get injured.  I would love to see mid 40s for 3 hrs 

I agree Steve. Futility remains king, and in the case of this next system I'd rather it play out the way that you say than have serious power line and roadway/ yard ice issues.  I suppose if we were truly looking at the possibility of an extraordinary ice event for the ages I might lean the other way just for the sheer weather/ historic point of view. ...But this storm ain't it, so get it out of here, and move on to the next.

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

...On a completely off topic note, the old woman next door to me has talked nonstop for exactly 39 minutes. She stopped for a second and I heard her husband say, "sure", and then she carried on again.

That is all. 

Why are you timing your neighbors' conversations?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

...On a completely off topic note, the old woman next door to me has talked nonstop for exactly 39 minutes. She stopped for a second and I heard her husband say, "sure", and then she carried on again.

That is all. 

Keep us apprized of the situation as it continues to unfold.

23 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

It's possible but just for avoiding crowds I'd hit Mount Ellen at Sugarbush. Cover all bases lol

I’m with my 4 year old son and that area is less kid friendly. I love Sugarbush. We are staying in Rutland though and doubt we can make it up there in the morning given the weather. Might even struggle to get to Killington. Thanks for the input. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

Trends are great in CT for anyone who ever wanted a skating rink in their yard. Flooding rain followed by a flash freeze. I always said I’d prefer a 50 degree rainstorm to a crushing ice storm...I guess I should be happy.

They do that a lot around here ... it's pretty cool actually. I'm not sure the climate S of HFD allows for it ... I guess maybe in the hills west of Wilmantic?

But they perimeterize these 50 by 100 foot square regions in their lawns, then put a rubber footing against the walls and ground.  About 6" tall... fill it with 5" of water, ...which is a lot, but then it freezes - viola!  skating rink.

4 minutes ago, drstuess said:

Guessing Killington will be more than fine. Mt Ellen will be packed as well; no hiding this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There are places to hide on the backside at Killington that aren’t that bad. And with a beginner in tow that terrain is nice anyways.  Just don’t want ice pelting me in the face. 

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not unhappy here. If we cant all snow sleet  then wash it away before a yard skating rink sets up. Dogs could get injured.  I would love to see mid 40s for 3 hrs 

I could use some rain.  The frozen ponds on my yard left from the previous storms have  been shrinking.  I need a replenishment.  Alas, I've go a ping-fest incoming. At least I'll have my power though.

14 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Why are you timing your neighbors' conversations?

Because this woman is rediculous, loud and annoying, and the walls are thin, and I am doing mindless stuff right now.  I just decided to do it today. I timed it once before and record is 51 minutes.  When they walk out of their place, the guy just looks so defeated every time.

Just now, Cold Miser said:

Because this woman is rediculous, loud and annoying, and the walls are thin, and I am doing mindless stuff right now.  I just decided to do it today. I timed it once beofore and record is 51 minutes.  When they walk out of their place, the guy just looks so defeated every time.

Nothing worse than a person who loves hearing themselves talk. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The SPC HREF to me makes way more sense then any guidance. As far as temps goes. Maybe it’s wrong and this goes over BOS, but I like how it displays the srfc thermals. 

Most of the really hi res stuff has little mesolow protrusions off E MA near Cape and PYM. That's how I see this going. It's going to lock in the airmass. I know everyone is all bummed out about torched midlevels but those dews draining down near the sfc are no joke. 

In the 2008 ice storm we didn't have any Arctic airmass at all and started the event as 37F rain but we slowly advected upper 20s dews into the storm. This one has a lot more to offer than that. Obviously not the same qpf though. But that's not gonna get advected out easily. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

They do that a lot around here ... it's pretty cool actually. I'm not sure the climate S of HFD allows for it ... I guess maybe in the hills west of Wilmantic?

But they perimeterize these 50 by 100 foot square regions in their lawns, then put a rubber footing against the walls and ground.  About 6" tall... fill it with 5" of water, ...which is a lot, but then it freezes - viola!  skating rink.

I'll see what I can do