Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't know any mets who would purposefully forecast incorrect snowfall amounts for ratings. Credibility matters too. I could see putting out some prelim snowfall totals to drive interest, but you want to try and make them accurate as possible.

I don't intend to put words and anyone's mouth, but read between the lines.

When I worked at a local TV station, it was strictly sports. The talent doesn't choose the topics, or graphics, a lot of the times. The producers and behind the scene guys do. I can't say the same for other industries, but I know it was a frustration for sports talent when they had to talk about things they didn't want to, or push story lines that weren't necessarily theirs. 

I have no idea how it works in weather, but...

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't know any mets who would purposefully forecast incorrect snowfall amounts for ratings. Credibility matters too. I could see putting out some prelim snowfall totals to drive interest, but you want to try and make them accurate as possible.

And its crap like this that gets posted on social media that someone photoshops and there are ones out there that are naive enough to actually believe it.

image.thumb.png.f5811eb601dbde3e33d1e4cde5d91c56.png

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Do you know any mets at TWC? They certainly knew there was less than a 1 percent chance of parts of the area receiving 3+ feet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PWMan said:

I can't help but think that's one reason some outlets put out those aggressive maps: they know people are going to copy/paste and send them around to their family and friends. Obviously that's not a motivation for NWS, but I can't help but think that it factors into the local news stations' thinking. Weather is one of the few reasons many people watch local programming anymore.

But does one channel forecsating more than another really driver more people to watch that channel? I know a lot of snow haters here that would actually tune into the channel reporting less.

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

There is a difference being consistently wrong and starting out with a high total and scaling back.  Happens all the time. The general public is happier when snow totals verify lower than forecasted as oppose to higher than forecasted.  

I don't think Harvey was putting out those numbers yesterday for a ratings boost. I think he was legitimately thinking that's how it's going to play out. He's one of the best and most respected in Boston. Judging by your past posts, you seem to have some sort of agenda when it comes to TV stations

29 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The quest for ratings factors in.  All of the TV news stations are well aware of what their competition is forecasting for snow totals. Even in less competitive markets people at the station  are well aware that more people are going to watch the broadcast if the forecast is for 18-24 as opposed to 8-12. At one time it cost more to place a commercial leading into or coming out of the weather segment. The higher the ratings for that segment means the more money that can be charged. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not.

leading into the weather portion of the 

:facepalm:

18Z NAM is bringing more sleet over Northern MA, which is interesting.  I'd be more apt to say with this profile that it would likely be switching back and forth.  There will be some fine details needed to be worked out before I start making definitive yes all snow or mixing in my neck of the woods (north of Fitchburg, MA).

nam_2019011818_045_42.73--71.58.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

But does one channel forecsating more than another really driver more people to watch that channel? I know a lot of snow haters here that would actually tune into the channel reporting less.

Not to belabor this when people who know more than me are actually engaging in meteorological analysis, but my take on this is that there's perceived to be little down-side in hyping these storms: snow-lovers will get excited and will want to watch more (while forwarding the maps to other snow enthusiasts), and snow-haters will forward the maps around and kvetch about how much winter sucks in Maine. As for the latter, complaining about the weather is a leading pastime here.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

I don't intend to put words and anyone's mouth, but read between the lines.

When I worked at a local TV station, it was strictly sports. The talent doesn't choose the topics, or graphics, a lot of the times. The producers and behind the scene guys do. I can't say the same for other industries, but I know it was a frustration for sports talent when they had to talk about things they didn't want to, or push story lines that weren't necessarily theirs. 

I have no idea how it works in weather, but...

I have known a few people who have worked in TV/radio and they all had the same gripe regarding producers and other behind the scenes employees.