Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, wxextreme said:

The Northeast Regional Climate Center released this graphic earlier this month showing the Dec 1 - Jan 15 departures from normal showing a slight deviation from normal temperatures. 

mid-winter tdpt map

With this, here is the departures from normal snow totals:

mid-winter sdpt map

16 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Going in to today Bos was +3,5 for the month. And +2.6 for Dec. And as Eric Fisher pointed out there have been only 4 days since mid Jan last year that the temp has been under 30 for a high in Boston.  It hasn't been exactly cold either

No one said that it was.

But I don't see a connection between a +2.8F seasonal temp departure, and tomorrow nights major snow event.

Call me crazy-

15 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thanks for the response.

The last 2 months(60 days) have averaged 0-2F above normal, so I'll concede that my point was not more concise when I said "warm".  I meant relative to climo.

I agree that we are at peak climo for snow for the next 30 days so you'd think that kicks in at some point.  I'm just not sure this year is behaving like your typical weak ENSO state

To the last point, I'm talking track deviations of 20-30 miles at most wrt to snow pack influences.  Probably not even measurable to the impacts of the pressing high.

Yea, its fair to question how much we are availing of this weak el nino at the moment.

We'll just have to revisit when all is said and done.

Good post.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You would not be mistaken with that feel - it is empirical over about the last four decades to be just that.   I believe the top five snowiest winters of all time have been sprayed along the last 30 years and most winters have been above the 100 years mean in that range. 

Will is the stat king with seasonal snow variance so .. Will?  

At the risk of going too off topic.

Here's the chart for ORH with a 15 moving average in there....you can see the biggest winters are recently, but you can also see the variance is a bit higher. Though to be fair, the 1960s are kind of unprecedented in their lack of variance.

ORH_snowavg.png