Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

11 hours ago, ariof said:

It's very interesting how MassPort manages this vs PANYNJ for very big storms. In JFK/EWR/LGA they seem to just let flights keep landing when possible, which gums up the whole airport and snow clearing infrastructure and causes massive delays for pax who do get in and out, missed connections, etc, and then it call cascades for days. Maybe they operate at 40% the day of the storm, but then they're at 60% the next day, and 80% the three days after. Which doesn't make sense.

MassPort cancels everything and gets all the plans out of the airport. I remember watching the March storm last year (and January, too, IIRC). Airlines manage it differently. IIRC, DL flew their evening schedule and then deadheaded all the planes out late (maybe even took some pax, but they were non-standard, high-four-digit-numbered flights). UA just canceled everything in after about 6. Not sure what AA/B6/whoever else did. But in any case, it means that the ramps are entirely clear and it's probably a lot easier to clear the airfield when it is devoid of anything moving than when you have to plow snow around active stands, ramps, taxiways and runways.

Will be interesting to see what they do Sunday, as with the latest models Sunday AM will be pretty snowy.

I have a picture from the flight board that day lit up in red except for 2 flights to Iceland. I tried to upload it here but it’s too big. PM if you’re interested in seeing it as you seem like you have a aviation hobby like myself. 

Still don’t know what they’re going to do Sunday with the ice/sleet threat at Logan. I also used to deice planes at EWR and any talk of freezing rain or sleet would be worse than heavy snow (freezing rain cannot be deicer properly like if it was snow so if a lot of ZR is in the forecast, they’ll cancel most flights like if it was a 2’ blizzard).

Man the size and scale of the snow removal program going on between my house and the ski resort is impressive.  VTRANS is straight pushing the snowbanks into the woods and trucking it out from intersections.  

They are obviously preparing for RGEM/ECM and not the NAM.  Or with huge holiday weekend for ski towns they aren't f*cking around.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dryslot said:

It had a good run a couple years back but it has slipped on a banana peel since.

Yeah I still think it has its uses...esp once closer in. It can really shine on low level thermals. It did very well in the Dec 23 ice storm last year inside of 24h showing the ice and cold tuck lasting longer than any of the other guidance including the 3km NAM. But use at own risk outside 30 hours on complex synoptic storms.

The differences in guidance right now sound larger than they actually are though....I mean, even the 12z reggie is giving BOS warning crtieria snowfall despite being more amped up than any other model. But on the margins where ice vs sleet vs snow becomes a tedious balance, small changes in the models look quite large.

Man the size and scale of the snow removal program going on between my house and the ski resort is impressive.  VTRANS is straight pushing the snowbanks into the woods and trucking it out from intersections.  
They are obviously preparing for RGEM/ECM and not the NAM.  Or with huge holiday weekend for ski towns they aren't f*cking around.  
Are they usually pretty good at clearing 89 and 100? Hoping to drive up Sunday am from Lebanon area?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1