Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

10 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I have gone colder with snow amounts, a further south large area of a foot or more.  Downeast ME with the highest amounts of 17-24"+.  BOS could see around 12-16", just south of the city could see around 8-12" while Upper Cape Cod region sees 8-12" while the outer Cape sees 6-8" and CHH sees 3-6" and ACK sees 1-3".  MVY sees about 10".  I am going with the colder scenario.  Either way, the Cape and Islands see some sleet and freezing and a few hours of plain rain before the flash freeze and a turn to snow and maybe additional moderate amounts from OES as the NAM shows.  I think the SREFs also show the OES impact.

January 20-21 2019 Noreaster Snow Map 2.gif

10" for MVY??????  Good luck with that!

:whistle:

• Haha 1

Seems to me this whole situation has been providing a unique, coherent testing opportunity for all guidance types - cold low level layer S.A.T. so to speak.  

I mean, at the end of the day ... y'all want snow or bust.  Right.  We know...  But my own consternation ... well, lack therein actually, I don't really care about ptype. I'm really more concerned with handling the llvs/BL resistance for this evolution/focus. 

I almost don't care to argue whether 800 mb level or whatever elevates a warm layer.  It simply ain't gettin' above 32 F anywhere in this at the surface, not with that degree of in situ polar-arctic high. Which is not only armed quintessentially perfectly nodal in western Quebec, but clearly dammed physically into the climo resistance patterning while flat wave deep layer kinematics attemps to erode... That's not arriving while this is playing out ... it's not leaving either.    Take half the pages of posting consternation of this thread, and erase them...  useless.  It's there, it's perpetually feeding in positive-statically stable layer underneath.  Any llv frontal positions, as well, most likely this whole thing, are going to be forced south of that resistance and it is simply not even eligible to enter the conference hall where any debate quorum is taking place.   Not qualified - 

As for ptype, it was always a matter of whether that is snow, or snow mixed with snow that's mixed with snow-IP mix, or snow mixed with snow-IP mix, or snow-IP mix, or IP mixed with some snow... or IP with one or two mangled bow-tie pasta noodles, ... or IP, or IP mixed with ZR ... or ZR with a few pellets mixed in, or ZR... but it ain't just rainin' when all that said resistance is also nascent arctic airmass.   

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Wow, the 3km NAM is cold.  850s only creep above 0c about 15mi N of the south coast.

yeah...it was much more in line with the 12km at 6z...they were quite a bit different last night at 0z, with the 3km being rather toasty.  I will say NAM has certainly backed off the prolific fzra totals it was spitting out for CT yesterday. Seems to be  a combo of less QPF and an overall colder trend. 6z even kept GON mostly below freezing. Hoping that holds here at 12z. 

• Like 1

Wow, I just scrolled through the models. You would think this storm is 4 days out with the range of solutions presented.

Going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. My gut says 4-8" for Hartford area before a sleetfest. Still gonna fill up my gas containers for the generator in case, though. Eager for Ryan to weigh in on the CT valley area. 

42 minutes ago, Snugharbor said:

Some people dont believe me but I had literally 1 snow day going to school in Providence from grade 7 to graduating HS (87-93).

Some of that might have been differing attitudes by school admin folks, and less litigation threat.  From when our older child entered kindergarten in 1977, thru 1985 when we moved south, he lost 1.5 days total to weather - in Fort Kent, where we had a 130"/year average snowfall.

GYX 90/50/10% snowfall tool upped by 3-4" compared to yesterday afternoon, with everybody's "most likely" now at 17 or 18.  Works for me.

2 minutes ago, SnowlieSnowstormson said:

Wow, I just scrolled through the models. You would think this storm is 4 days out with the range of solutions presented.

Going to be interesting to see how it unfolds. My gut says 4-8" for Hartford area before a sleetfest. Still gonna fill up my gas containers for the generator in case, though. Eager for Ryan to weigh in on the CT valley area. 

That’s sort of what I’m thinking now as well.

Just now, dryslot said:

We will see which models will be kept and tossed at 12z today.

It's interesting that the GFS/NAM are being hugged and he RGEM/EC have been tossed. Not saying I agree or disagree, but it is definitely interesting.

My gut is we end up somewhere in the middle of the EC and NCEP.