Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There will def be some ZR but I seems that the residence time and total QPF after the flip is going to be short of big time numbers. There's def still a chance in a small zone down in S CT somewhere though. Can't totally ignore it. 

I still think in the end, it will end up a bit sleetier than the euro shows. 

I will need you to talk me off the ledge tomorrow. Wife is in Virginia for the weekend and an ice storm with power loss is the last thing I need now. Lol 

22 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Looks like a couple hours of 2-3C at 850 here, though CMC just brought it up to 0. Snow and sleet. Those little pellets don't accumulate on power lines and trees but they are slippery as all get out under foot. Could see freezing fog adding some rime to exposed surfaces.

A crust of sleet over snow is great for preserving snow pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I will need you to talk me off the ledge tomorrow. Wife is in Virginia for the weekend and an ice storm with power loss is the last thing I need now. Lol 

What concerns me is the threat of decent icing has been there since Sat, maybe the areas have shifted but I still think the threat has to be considered. As you know most people are not prepared for a power loss especially with the cold coming Monday.

35 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It helps for those of us who remember the 80s and early 90s to know whats going to happen with a storm like this lol.

Some people dont believe me but I had literally 1 snow day going to school in Providence from grade 7 to graduating HS (87-93).

Sure there was a weekend storm here and there, and it snowed more up in Greenville where we lived, but the pattern was definitely warm and often wet. It all changed once I went to college (it was a pounding for several years in the mid 90s) but when you are a kid you dont tend to misremember not having snow days!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snugharbor said:

Some people dont believe me but I had literally 1 snow day going to school in Providence from grade 7 to graduating HS (87-93).

Sure there was a weekend storm here and there, and it snowed more up in Greenville where we lived, but the pattern was definitely warm and often wet. It all changed once I went to college (it was a pounding for several years in the mid 90s) but when you are a kid you dont tend to misremember not having snow days!

Here we had no double digit storms between Feb 1983 and Mar 1993 (the superstorm, which naturally changed to rain after a foot fell here, so really it was like Feb 1983 to Jan 1996 with no double digit pure snowstorms.)

We repeated that with no double digit snowstorms after the great 1995-96 winter until the Millenium storm in Dec 2000.  But the funny thing was that period felt entirely different because we at least had the great 1993-94 and all time 1995-96 winters under our belts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snugharbor said:

Long Island was the same way.  You couldn’t buy a sizeable snowfall. Meanwhile, 20 miles north of the city it was winter wonderland in perpetuity. So frustrating 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Snugharbor said:

The fact that you can remember that is crazy as is that situation is sad!

• Like 1

I have gone colder with snow amounts, a further south large area of a foot or more.  Downeast ME with the highest amounts of 17-24"+.  BOS could see around 12-16", just south of the city could see around 8-12" while Upper Cape Cod region sees 8-12" while the outer Cape sees 6-8" and CHH sees 3-6" and ACK sees 1-3".  MVY sees about 10".  I am going with the colder scenario.  Either way, the Cape and Islands see some sleet and freezing and a few hours of plain rain before the flash freeze and a turn to snow and maybe additional moderate amounts from OES as the NAM shows.  I think the SREFs also show the OES impact.

January 20-21 2019 Noreaster Snow Map 2.gif

Saw something really cool driving on I95 in Bridgeport a little while ago. There is a power station on the south side of the highway - left side as driving south - and the steam coming out was doing a spiral as it elevated through the atmosphere. First it was going right to left (NW>SE) it spiraled up and clockwise and probably 100 feet above the top of the stack it was going SE to NW. Really cool to see. Something that might be cool to visualize as we talk up this cold lower layer for this next storm. It's really cool to see visually what we talk about vertically in the atmosphere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I have gone colder with snow amounts, a further south large area of a foot or more.  Downeast ME with the highest amounts of 17-24"+.  BOS could see around 12-16", just south of the city could see around 8-12" while Upper Cape Cod region sees 8-12" while the outer Cape sees 6-8" and CHH sees 3-6" and ACK sees 1-3".  MVY sees about 10".  I am going with the colder scenario.  Either way, the Cape and Islands see some sleet and freezing and a few hours of plain rain before the flash freeze and a turn to snow and maybe additional moderate amounts from OES as the NAM shows.  I think the SREFs also show the OES impact.

January 20-21 2019 Noreaster Snow Map 2.gif

Noone on the cape will see over 6".

• Like 1

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I think 6-12" covers it.

Gotta always try to put the number you think will verify somewhere in the middle of the range.

i.e. 

6-12" I'm really thinking somewhere around ~9"

4-8" I'm really thinking somewhere around ~6"

3-6" I'm really thinking 4 or 5 inches

Personally I think the BOS number is between 6-9". Perhaps I should be saying 6-10".

• Haha 1