Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm actually buckin' for a NAM like solution myself...

I don't really care for either losing power, missing the Patriots party I'm going to... or, 20" of snow ... none of that really matters to me.

Far as I'm concerned, lets lop another 1/3 of QPF and make this an official pedestrian open wave quick hitter...  

Me too.  Hate all this "weather" stuff.  Wait, where am i?

Just now, Greg said:

Right now looking at all the tracks, the models besides the NAVGEM caught up.  Only little shifts and glitches in differences here and there now on Tropical Tidbits. I think midnight models will just about seal the deal other than any unusual occurrences/changes.

We haven't even got into the mesoscale wheelhouse yet, or used the rgem once, so this is not true. Not to mention nowcasting during the actual storm.

57 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

We haven't even got into the mesoscale wheelhouse yet, or used the rgem once, so this is not true. Not to mention nowcasting during the actual storm.

What I'm getting at is the track of the Low is pretty solid.  The goalpost shouldn't move in big swings.  Maybe 50 mile glitches and wobbles but big swings are pretty much done.  Outside any unusual 500 millibar changes of course.

18z NAM seems to be keying on a midlevel frontogenesis band at 700 mb that runs from around BGM, GFL, RUT, LEB, to 1P1 give or take. This could very well be a high ratio fluff that adds up big time as the lift will be in the DGZ. You can see a secondary QPF max in this swath. Something to watch.

Hopefully I can avoid pingers here, but it's going to be close the way it looks now .

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:
1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

But the 18" of snow BEFORE .5" of ice was absolutely silly.

I never bought into the 18" solutions. I always thought they were over done based on the track and speed of this. The 8"-12" seems much more reasonable. I still hold out some hope for the 10"-14" but that's only if everything in the end breaks right for us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greg said:

What I'm getting at is the track of the Low is pretty solid.  The goalpost shouldn't move in big swings.  Maybe 30-50 mile glitches and wobbles but big swings are pretty much done.  Outside any unusual 500 millibar changes of course.

30-50 mile wobbles to the south could mean 12" instead of 6" for places like BOS.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy how uniform all the models are up here.  

Every one is 1.0-1.3" QPF here, even the NAM.

I was just going to say that. It seems like the models have been remarkably consistent for our area from the time they first started spitting out clown maps for this system. 

43 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

30-50 mile wobbles to the south could mean 12" instead of 6" for places like BOS.

This is very true. I agree and you'll hear no argument from me, that's a promise. It's the big 75-100 mile swings for us that I believe are pretty much done however.

46 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm actually buckin' for a NAM like solution myself...

I don't really care for either losing power, missing the Patriots party I'm going to... or, 20" of snow ... none of that really matters to me.

Far as I'm concerned, lets lop another 1/3 of QPF and make this an official pedestrian open wave quick hitter...  

I'm not saying its going to happen, but I think your correction vector here is a snowy one. I don't see a lot of margin for error on the less impactful end of the spectrum  (unless anyone was expecting 18" lol)...sure, it may bump north a bit, but it won't be major...my largest uncertainty stems from a more proficient interaction with the northern stream at the last moment..

Don't sleep on a blizzard just yet, but plan on most amounts being generally under 1'.

10 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

18z NAM seems to be keying on a midlevel frontogenesis band at 700 mb that runs from around BGM, GFL, RUT, LEB, to 1P1 give or take. This could very well be a high ratio fluff that adds up big time as the lift will be in the DGZ. You can see a secondary QPF max in this swath. Something to watch.

Hopefully I can avoid pingers here, but it's going to be close the way it looks now .

how much otg now?

3 minutes ago, Greg said:

I never bought into the 18" solutions. I always thought they were over done based on the track and speed of this. The 8"-12" seems much more reasonable. I still hold out some hope for the 10"-14" but that's only if everything in the end breaks right for us.

Still like my first call right about now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

what did it have a foot in hartford and 2 feet for HippyV?

Yea..18-24". Had me with like 12-18".

I'm not sure how they couldn't have anticipated this QPF chop if a joe-$hit-the-rag man like me and you could.

I mentioned a couple of days ago that this reminded me of the early Feb 2011, and 2009 events.....SWFE that people humped mid range guidance and expected 18-24".

• Like 1

There are still small changes. Mostly model noise. GFS had been one of the warmer models though so a small tick southeast gets it closer to others. 

Im actually kind of surprised how small the shifts have been today given we're still like 60-72 hours out when the day began. 

• Like 1

So this storm is currently basically at the west coast thursday night, and affecting the east coast saturday night. This thing is flying. I cant fathom how this is supposed to drop big snow totals. I mean, maybe where the mid level fronto genesis occurs...but im having a hard time believing that heavy amounts of precip will occur over a decently large geographical area

• Like 2