Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You wouldn't rain on that. While the euro is far superior to the GFS with its handling of CAD, it is still going to underplay it quite a bit...esp on the southern extent closer to the low track. 

I have noticed systems like this go either way...last year's storm a couple days before Christmas took forever to warm up here and when it did, I think we barely hit 33. On systems with a strong sse wind, we warm up faster than expected, flipping from snow to sleet to rain really quick. The models are going to their typical windshield wiper game right now, so I expect to see it go back and forth for a bit. I just don't want half of the precip falling as frz rain, sleet and snow please. I enjoy my heat when the temps are near 0....

3 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

The only noticeable change in the morning operational runs is that both the GFS and ECMWF cut back on qpf as someone mentioned.

Yeah, I had said that a page back or so, But for the type and speed of the system, Like i said, Its probably 12-18" for a big swath with maybe a weenie 20" in there but i don't see anyone getting 2' as modeled right now unless this blows up into a miller B with stacking lows and thats for the ones that stay all snow, If you have some pellets in there, I would probably go 8-14" in those areas.

Just now, MarkO said:

LOL. Like I said, I will be! I'll even do a shot for you.

ECMWF ticked warmer towards the GFS AITIW. Get out there and pile it high before the rain. :D Seriously, I think you get wet between your legs for a bit but it will just add your pack. Good luck.

Nope

1 minute ago, MarkO said:

ECMWF ticked warmer towards the GFS AITIW. Get out there and pile it high before the rain. :D Seriously, I think you get wet between your legs for a bit but it will just add your pack. Good luck.

There's no way he goes above freezing.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Sounds like your expectations for this storm were unrealistic.  Why is the Euro lights out?  Is it because it's not wall-to-wall snow for you?

No, but you acting like I can't see a difference in the track when it's clearly in front of you.  Pretty basic meterology with a storm track like now verses earlier.  Right now I see a relatively quick thump with pounding sleet for a few hours which could have been a few hours of snow then some very light snow crap on the back which wont add much maybe an inch.

Yeah...so the 12z run yesterday appears to be a local run-group nadir as far as vertical temperature profile and elevated warm penetration.. 

That run really did not bring the 850 mb, 0C isotherm NW of Providence ..if that far - but then again, just remembering off the coarser free products.  Anyway, this run is more than a 24 hour 'noisy' relocation of that particular metric. It may be proven wrong - okay.. But that's not mere noise.

Since that fabled run we've been adding degrees and latitude...  Now this tries to go back to a pure ice storm threat for much of CT and RI and SE Mass away from the water of course.. 

With sleet bangin away to Rt 2 ...  I'm wondering if this bad run first of all ..but even so.  Nothing to do with that phasing part of it...just with the handling of the lower tropospheric parameters. 

Having said all that... the high up N is clad regardless of run or cycle ... iron hulled consistency ... That being there, that much of it guarantees the surface stays cold. It' just a matter of where the elevated warm layer terminates.. 

11 minutes ago, MarkO said:

It didn't correct towards the GFS...you are delusional.

It was noise.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's no way he goes above freezing.

I don't think it can emphasized enough that this is not a classic in-situ or "eroding" CAD situation. This is actually being actively fed by pure arctic dewpoints from the north and northwest ageostrophically. This is not like a lot of other storms in that sense. 

Typically a high in this position keeps us all snow...so we don't really pay attention to how the CAD is working when we're getting wite to wire heavy snowfall. But I can already see a lot of people being surprised come Sunday wen their temps aren't rising anywhere near what they thought. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think it can emphasized enough that this is not a classic in-situ or "eroding" CAD situation. This is actually being actively fed by pure arctic dewpoints from the north and northwest ageostrophically. This is not like a lot of other storms in that sense. 

Typically a high in this position keeps us all snow...so we don't really pay attention to how the CAD is working when we're getting wite to wire heavy snowfall. But I can already see a lot of people being surprised come Sunday wen their temps aren't rising anywhere near what they thought. 

Right. And you know how much it pains me to say Kevin isn't going above 32F either.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Greg said:

No, but you acting like I can't see a difference in the track when it's clearly in front of you.  Pretty basic meterology with a storm track like now verses earlier.  Right now I see a relatively quick thump with pounding sleet for a few hours which could have been a few hours of snow then some very light snow crap on the back which wont add much maybe an inch.

It's noise.  The track waffled very little yet you acted like you were getting the shaft.  Congrats on 12-16" of MEH apparently.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's noise.  The track waffled very little yet you acted like you were getting the shaft.  Congrats on 12-16" of MEH apparently.

I'm not angry at you. I just don't like being undermined.  I think the 12-16" is a bit high for this but 8-12" and at best 10-14" looks somewhat realistic.  For you, it might be a 4-8" hopefully 6-10" if things can still break right.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Like Spanker in DXR and Marky thinking plain rain and 35-45. Maybe in ACY. Not CT

4 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Noise

Several inches difference?

No, common sense.

Absent a more proficient phase, 2" of QPF is pretty unlikely from WAA. But if you had bothered to actually think this through rather than instantaneously vomiting back a petulant reply in response do being verbally undressed, then you would have learned that.