Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, wxsniss said:

I actually thought 12z GFS is a tic southeast, less amped... i.e., a small but definite step towards Euro / UK

And not warmer than 6z run

It was def a bit warmer early on and more amped to the west but it really seemed to run into a brick wall around 66 hours and ended up southeast by the time we got to Sunday morning. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Using Tropical Tidbits nifty "Previous Run" buttons to toggle version/intervals... I really see 0 meaningful differences at 500 mb on this run compared to any in six clicks backward - 

Do yourselves a favor - don't spend any time needling through this run... 

Most of the changes we've been seeing on most guidance are cosmetic and mostly noise. Exceptions might be the typical models like the NAM which came back to reality from a very suppressed 06z run. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It was def a bit warmer early on and more amped to the west but it really seemed to run into a brick wall around 66 hours and ended up southeast by the time we got to Sunday morning. 

It was getting squeezed to the east as it headed NE, It developed late too this run so it had less resistance against the CAD until it was at this lat here.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I am telling you....don't be surprised if the 12z EURO is a nuke.

I think anything is on the table at this point in time. It's really close to being a massive hit. 

Felt like yesterday a lot of the discussion was too definitive for 84-100 hrs out. That's why I was still saying 1-3" yesterday morning. Had all of those ensembles inland in the previous run. No consensus. Was knocked for saying it, but we're so far out and it had a torch look. Now it's changing it's evolution and it seems like 6" would be a good middle ground for Boston right now. Your hood is certainly 12-18", but that sleet line is still all over the place. GFS just took a big step in the right direction, but lets see the euro. If it's a bomb, then we're really talking.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most of the changes we've been seeing on most guidance are cosmetic and mostly noise. Exceptions might be the typical models like the NAM which came back to reality from a very suppressed 06z run. 

Or should be ... at this point - ha ... But yeah - 

Thing is, the GFS is directing changes in it's surface evolution having non-discerning instruction from aloft to do so... That's really more what I was after... it's spraying solutions relative to a statically handled 500 mb, in other words ... and I'm not personally going to chase fractals for fun - f' that

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

I think anything is on the table at this point in time. It's really close to being a massive hit. 

Felt like yesterday a lot of the discussion was too definitive for 84-100 hrs out. That's why I was still saying 1-3" yesterday morning. Had all of those ensembles inland in the previous run. No consensus. Was knocked for saying it, but we're so far out and it had a torch look. Now it's changing it's evolution and it seems like 6" would be a good middle ground for Boston right now. Your hood is certainly 12-18", but that sleet line is still all over the place. GFS just took a big step in the right direction, but lets see the euro. If it's a bomb, then we're really talking.

I think that was obviously wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agree. The plow into the molasses cold was always a little suspect. Nice to see any sign of GFS ceding to the rest as the energy is entering California.

The other thing that may be emerging: this anafrontal redevelopment and CCB 0z Monday... shown on GFS and ICON. Consistent with a stream interaction occurring late. I think that's a best-of-all-worlds synoptic scenario for SNE... earlier interaction and this would hug warm. Instead the system shunts more east (like UK, Euro) but then also redevelops later with northern stream interaction.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Agree. The plow into the molasses cold was always a little suspect. Nice to see any sign of GFS ceding to the rest as the energy is entering California.

The other thing that may be emerging: this anafrontal redevelopment and CCB 0z Monday... shown on GFS and ICON. Consistent with a stream interaction occurring late. I think that's a best-of-all-worlds synoptic scenario for SNE... earlier interaction and this would hug warm. Instead the system shunts more east (like UK, Euro) but then also redevelops later with northern stream interaction.

Ray and I have been all over this the last couple of days... 

It's actually these run types ... quasi ceding to the Euro, which has demonstrated a much more proficient phase over it's last three cycles ...

As an aside: that's 36 hour's worth of coverage there, which means these other guidance have offered some 8 to 9 cycles of missing that boat ...

Anyway, that may be nod in favor of the more stream interaction.  

Originally I was not a fan of phasing really at all with this compressed overall mass-field structure and its concomitant fast velocity saturation - that makes the delicate handling of that mechanization a little belief -stressed... But, here we are...and the Euro is trying to get it done - if perhaps an homage to it's better sophistication as a prognostic tool in general; no argument there.  

Nevertheless (or more... ), I see this going one of two ways most likely, over the next day of modeling:   

one ... the Euro stays put with partial phase and CCB clip to protract the total event some into early Monday, while the other models catch on/up...   ; 

versus two .. .the Euro shows even more phase, earlier on, and more of a bomb ordeal... and the other models also have to play catch-up in that scenario, as well...   

Either way, the IP/ZR contention/penetration is slipping by the boards and the writing is on the wall ... not like is hasn't been for days, just sayn'

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's actually these run types ... quasi ceding to the Euro, which has demonstrated a much more proficient phase over it's last three cycles ...

As an aside: that's 36 hour's worth of coverage there, which means these other guidance have offered some 8 to 9 cycles of missing that boat ...

Originally I was not a fan of phasing really at all with this compressed overall mass-field structure and its concomitant fast velocity saturation - that makes the delicate handling of that mechanization a little belief -stressed... But, here we are...and the Euro is trying to get it done - if perhaps an homage to it's better sophistication as a prognostic tool in general; no argument there.  

Nevertheless (or more... ), I see this going one of two ways most likely, over the next day of modeling:   

one ... the Euro stays put with partial phase and CCB clip to protract the total event some into early Monday, while the other models catch on/up...   ; 

versus two .. .the Euro shows even more phase, earlier on, and more of a bomb ordeal... and the other models also have to play catch-up in that scenario, as well...   

Either way, the IP/ZR contention/penetration is slipping by the boards and the writing is on the wall ... not like is hasn't been for days, just sayn'

So you are more bullish on snow amounts pike N / Rte 2 area

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm wary of an earlier phase... mainly because that was associated with the GFS driving the surface low over Mass

As it looks now, I'd think our best case scenario (for most of SNE/CNE, at least) is a delayed interaction, helping the system stay east, we get the SWFE goods, followed by infusion of northern stream energy and CCB redevelopment late Sunday

3 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Conditions would have to be perfect to get sleet only. I'm leaning towards the warmer GFS solution just solely based on how this winter has gone. I think you go S-R-Z-IP-S and the sleet is marginal.

Snow to rain to ZR? That ain't happening. 

• Haha 1