Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We don't to much freezing rain here.  Just further N & W in the Foxboro/Sharon areas can pull it off though.

Besides definitely not wanting it , why do you beleive you escape Frzr on this one, it’s more of a prolonged over-running event . I could see a cf pinned barely to your east and the gulf airmass butting up against your pressing polar high leaving Taunton looking like ice castles , perhaps west side better shot

15 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

So here's something I've been wondering about this week, and the University of Google has failed to shed any light... is there a rule of thumb for how warm is too warm at a given height before droplets would have no time to become supercooled? Like "if 850 is +n° you won't have freezing rain no matter how cold the BL is"? Or would it still cool enough by conduction to freeze just after contact regardless? 

It's a mirco-physical question ...one I cannot provide an answer for in any sophistication - I haven't looked into it.  Chris/NWS may know...  but, I seem to recall reading that +5 or +6 C is typical ...roughly in the 1500 meter level ... 

I could intuitively surmise that if the warm layer is higher up, than warmer than +6 may need to happen but that also gets rarer to get very high with very warm temperatures... so, just using this sort of spatial reasoning ...that may be why +6 is like a key temperature at 1500 or so...  There are other offsets too...  if the warm layer is +10 at say 1400 ...that may be hinder accretion rates but ... if the inflowing llv air has a very low dp, the water particles would cool faster and may offset. 

Something like that...But I'd ask Chris cuz I got a feelin' they have aps and checklists for that sort of thing right there in his office - ha

• Thanks 1

Besides definitely not wanting it , why do you beleive you escape Frzr on this one, it’s more of a prolonged over-running event . I could see a cf pinned barely to your east and the gulf airmass butting up against your pressing polar high leaving Taunton looking like ice castles , perhaps west side better shot
Wouldnt mind experiencing that. It would be good for my business (replacing electrical services that get ripped off of houses). But living my whole life in Taunton and Raynham, I've never seen it before. Maybe Sunday though....

Just now, butterfish55 said:
4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Wouldnt mind experiencing that. It would be good for my business (replacing electrical services that get ripped off of houses). But living my whole life in Taunton and Raynham, I've never seen it before. Maybe Sunday though....

I lived there and I saw it once in the early 90’s

didnt lose power 

but this isn’t really a setup I’ve seen in last upteen years. 

You want an ice storm in. S mass away from east coast , this looks like a decent way to do it 

• Like 1

Just now, butterfish55 said:
4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You def. have a shot.