Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, cut said:

my hamster aint on the wheel yet - sleepless night whence the whoosh over my head. In all seriousness though, starting to worry a bit about ice here in Trumbull - about 4 miles north of Long Island Sound. Ice would be rare here but....

SW CT is probably the most vulnerable area for icing right now in this storm. Def gonna need to watch it closely.m because there is potential for a lot of it too.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I just wish we could figure out where the zr/ sleet line is. No one seems to be able to forecast that . Do we get 3-4” of sleet on top of the 6-8” of snow or do we get an hour of sleet and 10 hours of zr before flip back to snow..

Ryan thinks predominantly sleet

7 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Ice storm don't happen with nor'easter, only SWFE

They can ...but it's rarer... 

In 1921 ... a coastal storm brought 3" of accretion as close to Boston proper as outer Brookline  ...  

In general ... a coastal storm ..a.k.a. "nor-easter", typical vertical/thermal profile doesn't orient the with a layer to +5 C about 1300 meters but not too high to be a sleeting column.   That's more naturally associated with overrunning... In fact, I've seen overrunning burst of snow go to sleet/ZR for a couple hours, then, as a Miller B takes over your back over to snow for several hours then ends.   The cyclone SE model eradicates elevate warm layers below the snow growth of the sounding(s)... 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ryan thinks predominantly sleet

I agree....I had a thin strip of major icing potential from south central CT through N RI into interior se MA. I won't be widespread, and preceding snow/sleet pack will mitigate its effects.

You may actually have a shot...

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree....I had a thin strip of major icing potential from south central CT through N RI into interior se MA. I won't be widespread, and preceding snow/sleet pack will mitigate its effects.

We don't to much freezing rain here.  Just further N & W in the Foxboro/Sharon areas can pull it off though.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

All set with that geezuz,not exactly what I need right now. I am using VD 07 as an analogy with max snow south. Hoping for a cold tic at midlevels 

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree....I had a think strip of major icing potential from south central CT through N RI into interior se MA.

yeah... really... all peregrinations and protestations and hand wringing aside... nothing changes the fact that there is a wall of +PP arctic air in place and back-built on even more +PP N... 

Not only is the lower tropospheric thickness correction vector pointed south...that's a big long vector!

We did this back in November ... last year at one point or another, fifty times over the last ten years, and always throughout eternity. ...where there's this tendency to let paranoid outfox actual physical laws of fluid mechanics.  

Little frustration in that sentiment...yeah yeah... but in this case, the transition zones I think with confidence get compacted S-E more than even the higher resolution/performing tools would have it... And If there's going to be a warm layer...it ends up too high to make for much other than sleet...  I would not be surprised if the icing part of this system's fears end up allayed by 2" of sleet with only a 20 mile wide ZR zone mashed down to almost LI and NYC/NJ some where...   

Hey...don't care if I'm wrong...  We'll see..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

My post wasn’t for THIS storm specifically. There has been numerous systems over the past 7 years (last March not withstanding) where ridging in the N ATL is there initially looks good at D5-7 but then poof. Lower heights in the NewF region usually just blow through any heigher heights to the N. 

I know that you meant in general, which is only true when there is no apparent impetus for the blocking. Nothing could be further from the truth this season, nor last season.

You need to know what to look for, and not just summarily dismiss. Remember, assess yourself, and look to guidance for conformation. This voo doo conceptualization that blocking is akin to some sort of mythical legend is entirely a product of people just impulsively whacking it to long range ensembles without questioning it.

Last January was a prime example....people pinned there hopes to it and flipped, when there was never anything to support it. This led to the tragically flawed presupposition that least season would never recover, and we'd see an early spring.

#oops

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

They can ...but it's rarer... 

In 1921 ... a coastal storm brought 3" of accretion as close to Boston proper as outer Brookline  ...  

In general ... a coastal storm ..a.k.a. "nor-easter", typical vertical/thermal profile doesn't orient the with a layer to +5 C about 1300 meters but not too high to be a sleeting column.   That's more naturally associated with overrunning... In fact, I've seen overrunning burst of snow go to sleet/ZR for a couple hours, then, as a Miller B takes over your back over to snow for several hours then ends.   The cyclone SE model eradicates elevate warm layers below the snow growth of the sounding(s)... 

So here's something I've been wondering about this week, and the University of Google has failed to shed any light... is there a rule of thumb for how warm is too warm at a given height before droplets would have no time to become supercooled? Like "if 850 is +n° you won't have freezing rain no matter how cold the BL is"? Or would it still cool enough by conduction to freeze just after contact regardless?