• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

Actually quite steady... 0z Euro may be a tick warmer vs. 12z, noise at this range

The only major model that came west at 0z was the NAM in its clown range... Euro, UK, GFS all ticked east / steady and bring SNE into the bigger snows, along with CNE/NNE.

Nice to see these runs hone in now that our southern stream system is entering the West coast.

Decent consensus to open with 6-12" in much of SNE pike north, 10-16" CNE, and can adjust up (more likely) or down as we get closer 

(returning from a conference in CA, haven't been able to post... hope to bring some good juju to the disco... and will be in Stowe this weekend!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I can't stand the Kuchera charts....its like an algorithm that James formulated in the index of  'The Dawn Awakening'..

I can't stand snow maps period. This event is going to have so much sleet and freezing rain dragged into those maps. 

I mean say you sit at +2C at 850 mb for the event, or at least a good chunk of it. That spits out a Kuchera ratio of 4:1. At 1-1.5" QPF you're talking 4-6" snow, despite not really have any realistic shot at it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I can't stand snow maps period. This event is going to have so much sleet and freezing rain dragged into those maps. 

I mean say you sit at +2C at 850 mb for the event, or at least a good chunk of it. That spits out a Kuchera ratio of 4:1. At 1-1.5" QPF you're talking 4-6" snow, despite not really have any realistic shot at it. 

Yea...I don't think my 10:1 is too high, I only peak at like 1C at between H85-H7 for a time.

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

When is the center of the low actually going to be onshore in the CONUS so we can get some accurate sampling?

Would it be in time for the 12z runs or would we need to wait for the 00z suite to come out?

I thought it would be today... 12z runs should have it?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

When is the center of the low actually going to be onshore in the CONUS so we can get some accurate sampling?

Would it be in time for the 12z runs or would we need to wait for the 00z suite to come out?

The 500 mb heights we want samples of are roughly 24 hours from now, so the 00z runs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The 500 mb heights we want samples of are roughly 24 hours from now, so the 00z runs.

Thanks, when I was looking at satellite images it seemed to me it's not that big gyre in the Pacific we need to watch but that little disturbance behind it which will become our big storm when it digs into the south and intensifies?  That big gyre in the Pacific is actually headed into Canada.

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks, when I was looking at satellite images it seemed to me it's not that big gyre in the Pacific we need to watch but that little disturbance behind it which will become our big storm when it digs into the south and intensifies?  That big gyre in the Pacific is actually headed into Canada.

It's actually the shortwave I marked here. You can see a secondary WCB forming just to its east.

2019-01-17_5-55-29_zpsfyqcjudb.jpg\

This shortwave is the one that moves downstream and forces the lee cyclone.

• Like 1