Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Its more amped...it's also a little faster which might give the appearance of being east. But the mix line gets further north this run.

At about hour 84 it makes a run north/northeast to the southeastern NY/ Western CT boarder.  I never saw a configuration like that.  I actually thought it would just move northeast after hour 84.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS is a terrible model. Completely on an island now....for two runs in a row. I don't think there is a single OP model agreeing with it now. Even the obscure WWII models.

Now I know where my NWS forecast is coming from... can't trust the Government F!@#$% Shutdown model at the moment...

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah in reality, it would prob be like 4-6" of snow on the front and then a ton of ZR.

Seems within the realm of outcomes 

is there something that doesn’t sit right about its handling of upper levels.and mid level temps .. we kno to toss 2m temps and it’s issue w SLP placement not seeing CAD

euro was previously closing off 5H on Saturday when it was amped 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Seems within the realm of outcomes 

is there something that doesn’t sit right about its handling of upper levels.and mid level temps .. we kno to toss 2m temps and it’s issue w SLP placement not seeing CAD

euro was previously closing off 5H on Saturday when it was amped 

Yeah it's def till possible we get that type of outcome. But it goes against the recent trends. 

GFS obviously really screws up the other stuff though as you mentioned. 

41 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

International flights are rarely if ever cancelled unless you have some sort of catastrophic weather event.  Those are by far the last flights to get axed 

They are normally the last to get axed but they will if the forecast is bad enough. I work TSA at Logan Airport at the International Terminal E. What the domestic airlines do is start to cancel their smaller, low passenger yield, regional flights first. Then they will cancel the rest of their flights about 24 hours before storm time if the forecast is still bad. THe old off until the bnes are different. They will hold off until the bitter end and most likely just cancel their inbounds from Europe which then has a trickle effect by canceling that nights flight back to Europe. Some airlines will delay their inbound by as much as 10 hours if the storm is forecast to wind down/end by the time they need to land. 

I remember the Jan 4th, 2018 storm last year (what was the buzzword on that storm that everyone was calling it on social media? cyclopse or something?), every single flight was cancelled in the airport except for a couple from Europe that were just delayed. I think Hainan Airlines delayed their inbounds from Beijing and Shanghai by like 8 hours just so they could operate their nightly flight back and they could operate their nightly flight back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ariof said:

Last March they closed the airport. Nothing came in. This might not be that level of storm (it probably won't be). Logan doesn't officially close, but it strongly encourages everyone to cancel flights, which allows them to clear runways and stands, and to reopen the airport, and to keep people from getting stranded on the tarmac or ramp. Logan rarely officially closes, but has had several instances in the past few years where no flights have landed in a day. This storm may not meet that criteria, but if it does, expect the flight to cancel. Luckily this time of year there's probably a lot of extra capacity to and from Europe.

I had to work that storm last March. All flights in and out were canceled until about 8PM when a few international flights went out. We closed the checkpoint basically all day and only reopened it at about 6PM because of those flights. Passenger and people were still out in the public areas all day but because all the checkpoints were closed, the airport was considered closed. It rarely happens though and if it does happen, it's only for a short time like I just explained. Only in 2015 did the airport completely close a couple of times to the point where they told us we could stay home and still get paid. When that happens the airport is really closed lol.