Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Unless the airport is closed.

This doesn’t look like an event that would close Boston.  I guess if they got severe FZRA maybe but it’s not likely to be a heavy enough snow event with enough wind issues for them to close other than brief periods 15-30 minutes where they need to clear the runways 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It will probably spit out 3.5 inches of QPF....3 feet of snow where its cold enough and an infrastructure-crippling historic ice storm where it's warm aloft.

Speaking of warm aloft, the 12z GFS at 105 had both RUM and WVL with 2m temps 14C colder than at 850.  (Both slightly above 0 at 850 - sleet fest?  probably not.)  Don't recall ever seeing that big a reverse split, at least not during a storm - maybe with mega radiational cooling.

Violently Agree.

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Gray ME
340 PM EST Wed Jan 16 2019

MEZ012>014-018>022-NHZ003>013-015-172045-
Southern Oxford-Southern Franklin-Southern Somerset-Interior York-
Interior Cumberland-Androscoggin-Kennebec-Interior Waldo-
Northern Grafton-Northern Carroll-Southern Grafton-Southern Carroll-
Sullivan-Merrimack-Belknap-Strafford-Cheshire-Eastern Hillsborough-
Interior Rockingham-Western And Central Hillsborough-
340 PM EST Wed Jan 16 2019

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for Maine, south central Maine,
southwest Maine, western Maine, New Hampshire, central New
Hampshire, northern New Hampshire and southern New Hampshire.

.DAY ONE...This Afternoon and Tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday.

A weak system will bring a period of light snow on Friday. Light
accumulations are most likely in the morning, and may affect the
morning commute.

A winter storm is possible this weekend with widespread double digit
snowfall accumulation possible across the region. Precipitation is
expected Saturday night into Sunday.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

This doesn’t look like an event that would close Boston.  I guess if they got severe FZRA maybe but it’s not likely to be a heavy enough snow event with enough wind issues for them to close other than brief periods 15-30 minutes where they need to clear the runways 

Last March they closed the airport. Nothing came in. This might not be that level of storm (it probably won't be). Logan doesn't officially close, but it strongly encourages everyone to cancel flights, which allows them to clear runways and stands, and to reopen the airport, and to keep people from getting stranded on the tarmac or ramp. Logan rarely officially closes, but has had several instances in the past few years where no flights have landed in a day. This storm may not meet that criteria, but if it does, expect the flight to cancel. Luckily this time of year there's probably a lot of extra capacity to and from Europe.

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Of course, just because they're technically open doesn't mean anyone will actually be flying. With a well-hyped storm like this, airlines will preemptively cancel in droves.

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol you are the new Jerry always bailing just before a fantastic storm

It happens way more than it should but it’s a product of my professional life style. When I was a very young consultant and I was due to fly out the morning that the January 1996 storm started and I lived in Philadelphia, I actually lied to my client and told them that my flight had been canceled. Even for what then was a lot of money I did not want to miss the storm it cost me about five grand.  31 “ was more important than 5k that week.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

only thing that may "close" it is >2"/hr snow rates, which is possible in this storm but who knows where. typically hard for crews to keep up with that.