• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 21-24 Winter Storm Potential

Hoosier

MLI up to 37.6" for the season, thru 6:00 AM this morning. 50"+ season looks very doable/probable...which would make for a top 10 all timer. :snowing:

1) 69.7" in 1974-75

2) 65.1" in 2013-14

3) 64.0" in 1978-79

4) 61.5" in 1959-60

5) 59.1" in 1996-97

6) 54.1" in 1971-72

7) 51.5" in 2007-08

8) 51.4" in 1911-12

9) 51.2" in 1969-70

10) 49.3" in 1925-26

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

MLI up to 37.6" for the season, thru 6:00 AM this morning. 50"+ season looks very doable/probable...which would make for a top 10 all timer. :snowing:

1) 69.7" in 1974-75

2) 65.1" in 2013-14

3) 64.0" in 1978-79

4) 61.5" in 1959-60

5) 59.1" in 1996-97

6) 54.1" in 1971-72

7) 51.5" in 2007-08

8) 51.4" in 1911-12

9) 51.2" in 1969-70

10) 49.3" in 1925-26

Wow! Go big or go home, right! Heck at this rate me may make the top 10 by the end of next week! :) and that would include our nice 7+ week quiet/warm stretch.

48 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Just wait until it all freezes up again...:thumbsdown:

I'm kinda surprised how much ice is still on the pavement this morning. Truly truly a big mess, and only will get worse.

stores out of salt. Was going to scrape it, but i think that maybe worse. Snowing again decently here so hoping it provides traction when the big freeze hits.

29 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

This will by far be my favorite storm of the season! Likely will end with totals between 7-9 inches total. Went to bed last night around 10pm with heavy wet snow falling, and awoke to heavy wet snow still falling a few moments ago, looking like a perfect snow globe scene. All of this after being modeled way to far south for any decent snow up through the final hours. :snowing:

The Quad Cities seem to do well in every storm.  They got 12 inches back in November and seem to be getting 6+ from each of these smaller storms this month.

• Like 1

So looking back at the guidance from 3-4 days ago...the Euro, Goofy twins, and Canadian cousins all get F's with their performance of this storm. The Ukie sniffed out the southern trend, yet again. And I guess the NAM's, for the most part.

EDIT: actual track went from STL to IKK. The bad models had it thru E IA/NW IL (and further NW with some of the GFS runs) for quite a bit of time.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The Quad Cities seem to do well in every storm.  They got 12 inches back in November and seem to be getting 6+ from each of these smaller storms this month.

Actually 14.8" from the Blizzard...Lol,  yea it really seems the 6"+ axis continues to pull us smack dab in the middle. This Winter has been pretty impressive from that standpoint. **knock on wood**  I'll take it for sure. 

Looking at traffic cams are always interesting in these storms. Shows the difference a dozen or so miles makes!

measured 3.5 (average of 3 spots) with another 1/2 inch in the last hour it took me to shovel this hard slush.

People better clear this stuff ASAP or they are going to have solid ice for over a week!

• Like 1

Looks like another nice few bands in NW IL (south of Rockford) heading into NE IL. Snow ended here for a bit but the roads are a mess. Decent returns just entering western Kane county. 

Temps also look to have taken a dive around 3-4 AM, Dropped from 32/33 here to the mid 20's. The deep freeze begins...

1 hour ago, mimillman said:

We’re turning to snow downtown. If you round up to a generous 0.5” of snow before the changeover, we’re probably at an “impressive” 12” of snow or so for the season.

Your seasonal total is abysmal compared to areas just NW

2 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Underestimated my “eyeball” guess by quite a bit. Measured 4.4” IMBY, still snowing lightly. 

Nice little suprise considering Hi-Res runs from 24 hours ago had the rain/snow line slamming north of me. 

Interesting to note, we definitely flipped to rain/drizzle sometime overnight. On my “big board” (aka the one I don’t clear), I have about 1.5-1.6”, icy crust, then another 2.5-2.6”

2 hours ago, mimillman said:

We’re turning to snow downtown. If you round up to a generous 0.5” of snow before the changeover, we’re probably at an “impressive” 12” of snow or so for the season.

The zone from downtown southward has sort of gotten screwed so far, relatively speaking.  I'm at 16.5"

• Like 1

I was out running some errands and am amazed how all the side streets (non-treated) around here are still fairly ice covered. This with above freezing temps overnight and this morning. Great example of antecedent conditions doing some work. Cold coming back in now. Going to be a fooking disaster with all the standing water. :arrowhead:

Interesting to note, we definitely flipped to rain/drizzle sometime overnight. On my “big board” (aka the one I don’t clear), I have about 1.5-1.6”, icy crust, then another 2.5-2.6”

In avalanche safety class they took us out and we did a cross section into the snow slab at elevation. It quickly became apparent those kind of layers are really just about everything you need to know to understand the avalanche hazard. The first storm we got was heavy and wet, second storm powder, this storm briefly liquid then heavy and wet again. Now for deep cold, maybe a powdery clipper or two, this is the stuff nightmares are made of in mountain country.

I was out running some errands and am amazed how all the side streets (non-treated) around here are still fairly ice covered. This with above freezing temps overnight and this morning. Great example of antecedent conditions doing some work. Cold coming back in now. Going to be a fooking disaster with all the standing water. :arrowhead:

Wife stayed in the city last night, working now in the Joliet area. Really just want her home safe tonight. Told her to do 30mph the whole way home
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, King James said:

Wife stayed in the city last night, working now in the Joliet area. Really just want her home safe tonight. Told her to do 30mph the whole way home

This is all has taken me by surprise really. Didn’t think it would be this bad. Hope she gets home safely. :)

• Like 2