• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 21-24 Winter Storm Potential

Hoosier

-SN here in Ames. There isn't the worst flake size at the moment. We'll see how it plays out this evening. 

Another thing to watch for us central IA folks is the passage of the 500mb low late tonight which produces some decent precip overnight - at least on the globals and now the NAM/RGEM to some extent. I'm not sure if that's legitimate - especially given how awful the trends have been the last day or so - but the signal is there to produce a couple inches even as we get towards the morning hours. Some decent banding right now which wasn't particularly well handled. 

1 minute ago, tuanis said:

20z HRRR is teasing us border county folks with some legit snow. Puts the heaviest band from QCA > Rockford > Racine once things get going this evening.

I live in Elgin, work near Libertyville. I'm most likely going to wake up to a dusting of snow here and at my office could be a big snow... Think I'm working from home tomorrow... :-)

IGQ at 32 now... using them as my guide since I'm close by right now.  Looking outside, can see the watery glaze on the ground.

Will be curious to see how much of a beating the snowpack takes.  It was not on the wet side to begin with but now there is a minor layer of ice on top and it will be raining into it.  As long as the surface low doesn't make a last minute move farther north, temps/dews shouldn't get too crazy.  Whatever survives is going to be a glacier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

I live in Elgin, work near Libertyville. I'm most likely going to wake up to a dusting of snow here and at my office could be a big snow... Think I'm working from home tomorrow... :-)

I'd think based on the orientation of the setup Elgin and Libertyville would see similar amounts, no? I still don't think this will amount to much down here.

2 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

Given axis orientation, what you get at home should be about the same as at work.

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

You shouldn't be shocked. This is like clockwork when there's strong WAA.

Well I guess I underestimated the strength of WAA with this. Truly thought the snowpack would help mitigate the warming. The arctic air mass had definitely got more shallow as that high shifted east. Live and learn