Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 21-24 Winter Storm Potential

Hoosier

29 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Yea I don’t really care how much snow I get so long as it isn’t freaking rain.

I'd much rather have snow as well, but if it is primarily a rain event it won't be the end of the world to me.  We have a good 8" depth out there, and it's quite dense.  Any rain will only glacier-ize it and cement it in good before the next arctic intrusion.  There's signs we could see some clippers beyond this storm so hopefully they would refresh the snow pack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

I'd much rather have snow as well, but if it is primarily a rain event it won't be the end of the world to me.  We have a good 8" depth out there, and it's quite dense.  Any rain will only glacier-ize it and cement it in good before the next arctic intrusion.  There's signs we could see some clippers beyond this storm so hopefully they would refresh the snow pack.

Personally, I like to see either a nice sunny 34 degree day or a touch of rain to stop the constant drifting across my driveway.

New Euro has a nice snow from Waterloo to Madison.  Looks like mostly rain a little south of that line.  Southerly surface flow out ahead of the system looks to keep any freezing rain a very fleeting event for any given location.  Since the system hasn't shown any signs of adjusting southward I'm expecting a primary rain event for here/QC.  Possibly a very brief glaze at onset, and a few wet flakes at the tail-end.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

New Euro has a nice snow from Waterloo to Madison.  Looks like mostly rain a little south of that line.  Southerly surface flow out ahead of the system looks to keep any freezing rain a very fleeting event for any given location.  Since the system hasn't shown any signs of adjusting southward I'm expecting a primary rain event for here/QC.  Possibly a very brief glaze at onset, and a few wet flakes at the tail-end.

I was looking at the Euro 2m temp progs, and it goes from 10 to 36 here between 6 am and 6 pm Tuesday.  Not going to have much assistance from insolation either... that is almost entirely advective driven.  

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

LOT clearly not buying this. In fact allude to continuing frain even after temps go above freezing.

6z NAM tracking the low up through Northwest IL. But shows an unusual setup for a heavier period of snow over much of Central/Northwest IL into Iowa. Not sure if I buy that or not considering it basically is where the low is tracking and one would expect some sort of dry slot there....or maybe not. We shall see if future model runs hold onto this new idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILwxchr said:

6z NAM tracking the low up through Northwest IL. But shows an unusual setup for a heavier period of snow over much of Central/Northwest IL into Iowa. Not sure if I buy that or not considering it basically is where the low is tracking and one would expect some sort of dry slot there....or maybe not. We shall see if future model runs hold onto this new idea.

Agree with this. Seems as if we would get dry slotted with this path.  But who knows at this point. 

LOT clearly not buying this. In fact allude to continuing frain even after temps go above freezing.

Skilling hasn’t really backed off from forecasting ice yet. He’s had snow/ice and rain/ice in the forecast despite also forecasting temps in the mid-upper 30s. Potential to be a real mess

4 hours ago, Baum said:

We'll see.  I def agree there may be additional freezing rain as temps rise above freezing due to the very cold surface, but even with that I believe it should be a pretty short window.  Of course it only takes a very short period of glazing to create huge problems on the road.  To me the deep southerly flow with rapid WAA screams a very short duration glaze event.  Some areas, particularly further west out this way may already be too warm for the brief glazing.

The 12z NAM solution is interesting, and to be honest I kind of expected the models to trend in that direction over the past few days.  So far the globals, including the mighty Euro refuse to adjust southward, so I'm tossing the NAM solutions at this point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

When tracking the last event once I seen the blocking situation I pretty much shut the curtains on this one.  went from extreme blocking too of course MIA. 

eh...you discounted the last storm when you thought it was a arch way special. :PYour probably in line for 6". 

• Haha 1

Just now, Baum said:

eh...you discounted the last storm when you thought it was a arch way special. :PYour probably in line for 6". 

Haaa.  Man it seems every storm for the last 3 winters we've had to fight for any scraps of snow from surrounding area's.   No way I was getting sucked in to tracking this Rochester special.   I conceded early to the  AFD's  and reading this thread.  I gave all my fight to the last event.

• Like 1

Ukie remains south and colder than the rest of guidance along with the NAMs and the Euro to an extent. Against the GFS, the FV3 and the CMC. I *still* think we see this trend colder/south, but I guess we will have to see. 

The Ukie solution for the surface low makes sense to me. It's not like this is gonna be a negatively tilted wave, it's a sheared/elongated, positively tilted wave embedded in southwest midlevel flow. I still think the warmer models are not adequately accounting for the extent of deep, cold snowpack across the region, which *should* cause a sfc low adjustment southeast closer to edge of low level baroclinic zone.  

The NAM12 solutions have been interesting because they are wet bulb cooling the profile to snow despite what is typically a not good surface low track for snow in northeast IL. The 3km NAM is even weaker with the sfc low and looks to be close to all snow here. Perhaps this is a case in which they're handling the lower level thermals and dew points better coming out of a deep cold airmass. I find it hard to believe that we're gonna start the day with dewpoints in the low-mid teens here and push them to above freezing just hours later.

This also could be a case even with a farther west low track that the warm front does get hung up because of the snowpack and prolongs icing concerns, plus the idea we could still be icing with temps above 32. Still lots to sort out with this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

We'll see.  I def agree there may be additional freezing rain as temps rise above freezing due to the very cold surface, but even with that I believe it should be a pretty short window.  Of course it only takes a very short period of glazing to create huge problems on the road.  To me the deep southerly flow with rapid WAA screams a very short duration glaze event.  Some areas, particularly further west out this way may already be too warm for the brief glazing.

The 12z NAM solution is interesting, and to be honest I kind of expected the models to trend in that direction over the past few days.  So far the globals, including the mighty Euro refuse to adjust southward, so I'm tossing the NAM solutions at this point.  

Part of this of course comes down to the system strength.  Weaker system would tend to promote weaker waa and vice versa.  Still some differences with that.

Totally agree that this setup does not suggest long duration icing in any particular location, or at least long duration icing with 2m temps below freezing.  How long the surfaces lag is a question.  I remember an extreme case of icing continuing with temps well above freezing back in January 2014, but the magnitude/duration of this preceding cold is not as impressive.  Will have to watch the qpf trends too to see if there's any trend toward putting more precip in the window when temps are below freezing.

• Like 2