• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Medium/Long Range Disco

nj2va

500mb looks really nice. The fast flow could end up hurting us though. I’ve been tracking this time frame for a few days now and the one negative we could potentially run into is kicker problems....This looks like a Miller A/B hybrid to me, but idk. 
Yea man....such a fast mover....not the classic

Just now, Ji said:
Just now, Bob Chill said:
Kuchera. I'd hit 20"+ ytd before Feb. Very tricky setup. We'll get the kitchen sink thrown at us next couple days me thinks

ExsIflE.png&key=fbf2b16825ea37e34a8e0a81c2e027687a91db8b176ad5542cff2f74c839c4e7

Driest 981 Miller a in history lol

Don't worry. Euro is setting up a gradient overrunning event d9. Weenie run from dr no. Sucks that winter is cancelled first week of feb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ji said:
Just now, Bob Chill said:
Kuchera. I'd hit 20"+ ytd before Feb. Very tricky setup. We'll get the kitchen sink thrown at us next couple days me thinks

ExsIflE.png&key=fbf2b16825ea37e34a8e0a81c2e027687a91db8b176ad5542cff2f74c839c4e7

Driest 981 Miller a in history lol

Lol ya, probably because of the fast flow like I said....FV3 looks very similar at H5 but it also has a very tight precip field. Just something to keep an eye on at this point.

I dont have precip, but 216 hrs looks like it was setting up an overrunning event fwiw. 

There is a train of strong Pac storms following that hit on the Euro. One after another. Could be an epic Jan/Feb if it works out.
500h_mslp.na.png&key=c7fcad52db3890c233aef2a352c8b2fb1cf80f2d0c7dd6d1c8de80704244616e
Epic epo...but nao looks neutral. Need better or we will have to fight se ridge and gradient. This is not pattern we were expecting to walk into

14 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

USA_HGT_500mb_192.thumb.gif.02ec6029987bfdd71fc4b0419c056313.gifUSA_PRMSL_msl_192.thumb.gif.4a4a2ff04a4e98bd85a6b1b3dfc37799.gif

On the 2nd map you can see why the precip shield isnt as explosive as it could have been. Low is just NE of NC, but look at how widespread the pressure falls are NE of the low. Kind of think of it it like a top spinning (the L) at the end of a pendulum. The Pendulum (trough) is headed E while the energy rounded the base is trying to spin up a low as fast as possible. In a situation like this if the energy rounding the base of the trough cant develop a low fast enough the pendulum just kicks everything NE quickly. Idk....hard to explain without using professional met. Lingo lol.... 

I’d be curious to see 250-300mb jet during this run. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ji said:
4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:
There is a train of strong Pac storms following that hit on the Euro. One after another. Could be an epic Jan/Feb if it works out.
500h_mslp.na.png&key=c7fcad52db3890c233aef2a352c8b2fb1cf80f2d0c7dd6d1c8de80704244616e

Epic epo...but nao looks neutral. Need better or we will have to fight se ridge and gradient. This is not pattern we were expecting to walk into

Obviously way out there so not that concerned. Plenty of cold air to work with. Obviously we could have timing issues. But a great epo and ao modeled there. Combine that with the number and strength of those storms and I will take my chances.

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

When do we start talking about how this will fail....oh wait...now I guess

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

Lol....a very unweeklies day 10 rain event

2 minutes ago, Ji said:
6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Started...

• Like 1

Cracks me up that people are whining about the pattern in 10 days. I guess that they don’t realize that we are actually in a pattern right now that has opportunities in the short range to see winter weather. Areas of the forum got over a foot of snow last week. Areas north and west picked up a sloppy inch or two last night. We’ve got 1-2 chances at wintry weather over the next week. Hopefully, everyone doesn’t get to the first or second week in February and miss the “good pattern” that is actually happening now...

11 minutes ago, Ji said:
14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Weren’t we just worried about the return of the nasty Pacific jet? I’ll take a huge -EPO over that any day. Very Feb 2015ish tbh.

• Like 1

The fact that Ji is depressed after potentially getting another warning level event is strange. It's not like he made a public forecast for a huge snow winter or anything... wait a minute...
Not depressed man....its been a very uneven winter. We have had one storm since met winter started and it's almost February. And now the data is backing off the great looks we are seeing and we dealing with mixed events when I expected feb 2003 at some point

13 minutes ago, Ji said:
24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
The fact that Ji is depressed after potentially getting another warning level event is strange. It's not like he made a public forecast for a huge snow winter or anything... wait a minute...

Not depressed man....its been a very uneven winter. We have had one storm since met winter started and it's almost February. And now the data is backing off the great looks we are seeing and we dealing with mixed events when I expected feb 2003 at some point

How much snow would make you happy? And why aren't you more content with what you've gotten so far? (you almost have twice as much as some of us, lol)

12 minutes ago, Ji said:
22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I never expected a big winter. My original contest guess was sub climo but edited at the last minute because the AO was negative. That lasted 45 minutes before going positive.

The nino never looked like it was going moderate and now it may not even hit weak. Without a mod nino our area is hit and miss. So if anything, this winter is going exactly like what you would expect for warm neutral or weak nino. 

We actually stand a really good chance at topping climo at the airports and in our yards. If that isn't good or satisfying then you should consider moving to where snow is more common or giving up the hobby alltogether.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

How much snow would make you happy? And why aren't you more content with what you've gotten so far? (you almost have twice as much as some of us, lol)

Ji was complaining in 09/10. It is just what he does. I have been watching his meltdowns for a decade and a half at this point. It isnt winter without them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic