Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Medium/Long Range Disco

nj2va

Just now, psuhoffman said:

lol thanks...but check this out.  The GFS just misses the boat here...the NS and SS vorts don't phase and instead the NS acts as a kicker...but look what could have been...and the flow on top is not that suppressive this can definitely be a monster that runs the coast if there is just a little bit more coordination here.  Somewhere between the GFS and the GGEM is a monster snowstorm for us.   Either way this look on the GFS would almost certainly correct more amplified and west.  I am more worried about rain then OTS att.  

GFSGIF.thumb.gif.0cc6533c95c1da073f37a2b9ea5e599b.gif

I believe the 00z EURO was the "monster snowstorm".  I believe we got a phase just a tad too early and it ran the i95 corridor... a few hours later for the phase and we all enjoy lots of snow

7 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It's going to get better.  I think it's a pretty decent bet that we get this follow up wave now.  

agree, gfs seems to be up to its old habit of stringing out energy along the east coast.  The flow is not very suppressive, no reason this doesn't amplify a bit more.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

lol thanks...but check this out.  The GFS just misses the boat here...the NS and SS vorts don't phase and instead the NS acts as a kicker...but look what could have been...and the flow on top is not that suppressive this can definitely be a monster that runs the coast if there is just a little bit more coordination here.  Somewhere between the GFS and the GGEM is a monster snowstorm for us.   Either way this look on the GFS would almost certainly correct more amplified and west.  I am more worried about rain then OTS att.  

GFSGIF.thumb.gif.0cc6533c95c1da073f37a2b9ea5e599b.gif

You're talking about that wave coming down out of Utah and the 4-corners region, correct?  I was looking at that too, it's close there to phasing with the SS near the Gulf.

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

lol thanks...but check this out.  The GFS just misses the boat here...the NS and SS vorts don't phase and instead the NS acts as a kicker...but look what could have been...and the flow on top is not that suppressive this can definitely be a monster that runs the coast if there is just a little bit more coordination here.  Somewhere between the GFS and the GGEM is a monster snowstorm for us.   Either way this look on the GFS would almost certainly correct more amplified and west.  I am more worried about rain than OTS att.  

Yeah, look at all this hanging moisture. It could be a bomb. (all the way up to Alaska)

gfs_namer_183_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's about as good a setup as you can get for a followup. Reminds me of some of the events in JFM 14&15. If anyone remembers the specifics of those... we really didn't have a clear picture on what's going to happen until 72 hours out or so and even then it was fraught with wobbles and such. We were in and out multiple times in the med range. I don't see this being any different and I have no confidence one way or the other right now. 

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

agree, gfs seems to be up to its old habit of stringing out energy along the east coast.  The flow is not very suppressive, no reason this doesn't amplify a bit more.  

I really like this one tbh.  There's just so much potential.  I won't be discouraged by the run to run wobbles for now.   If we're still super amp'd or out to sea by say Monday/Tuesday then it might be time to bail. 

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

If we can get to next weekend and everything stays on schedule we could be looking at some fantasy storms becoming mid range threats! I feel like it might be happening!

Phase changes with the NAO like what's progged happen pretty violently and are rarely modeled or forecast well. We're going to see all kinds of different versions until the block is established (assuming it does... looks good now). Once the blocking is in place then mid/long range will be more trustworthy. We're really close to victory with the AO/NAO. Ens haven't slipped back at all and ops are spitting out big blocking looks left and right but it's right on the cusp of too far out in time to discuss details. Another 4-5 days and it should be game on in the tracking dept. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Phase changes with the NAO like what's progged happen pretty violently and are rarely modeled or forecast well. We're going to see all kinds of different versions until the block is established (assuming it does... looks good now). Once the blocking is in place then mid/long range will be more trustworthy. We're really close to victory with the AO/NAO. Ens haven't slipped back at all and ops are spitting out big blocking looks left and right but it's right on the cusp of too far out in time to discuss details. Another 4-5 days and it should be game on in the tracking dept. 

It would be really something to have -NAO.. it seems like it's been so long. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It’s not like we haven’t had stuff to track over the last week. We haven’t really had a break even though this weekend didn’t pan out. We’re already tracking another threat for mid next week already. 

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

No kidding...it's been so dang elusive the last 8-9 years!!! 

There's some sort of multi-decadal  cycle with the NAO. I don't have a theory or any knowledge as to why but if you look at the historical NAO data, phases happen in bunches.  10 years ago and goose could fart flying over the Davis Straight and a block would form. Then the big blue ball took over. It's possible that this year marks the beginning of another cycle of -NAO winters. Not every winter but more often than not. We'll see how it goes over the next 3-5 years. 

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic