Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January/February Medium/Long Range Disco

nj2va

25 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh mercy...and only one those worked out in January here: 99-00. Kind of a big storm that month that put most of us at or above climo! Then February...practically nothing! 

Given that track record...I'd rather we try to score before January ends in case history wants to repeat itself (I hope not--only having January as a window is playing with longer odds) Again, some of this forum doesn't need to much more to hit climo...but those of us from Balt. City north? Yes, lol

I remember that storm.  The Mets kept saying we would have rain. It was snowing constant at about 42 degrees (Fairfax). My husband was driving friends to BWI, so I know they had snow there too. 

44 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Ice storm Warning would be a nice treat.  But we all know to get a good ice storm you need sub 30F...sub 25F preferred.  32 just is a lot of drip during the day.  But CAD is often hard to break and seems to verify colder. 

:lol:

A treat?  1 inch of ZR is no treat, unless you're fighting a forest fire.

I've been having a bad feeling about the CAD on this one for a while.  We all know models don't handle it well, and with snow cover only partially melting and an additional inch or two falling, it doesn't really bode well.  

1 minute ago, Roger Smith said:

I will post optimistic thoughts in the new thread. But this weekend storm is more likely to shift south than north given all the variables in play. 

you nailed the last one...i think you might of been under a bit..which would be a first for you haha

• Haha 1

@psuhoffman I thought this touched home in regards to the conversations ealier about the blocking, -NAO and why the models sometimes waiver and fail to produce the expected outcome. 

Not intended to fully answer any questions on the topic, such as why the GFS had its  NAO forecast change, basically delaying the onset of the -NAO, but I still found Amy's post very interesting. 

• Caveat: One thing that is not clear to me- how much of this is due to initializing model with strong stratospheric initial state vs shorter leadtimes.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic