Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Medium/Long Range Disco

nj2va

Just now, jaydreb said:

There is always a path to failure but the ensembles are still showing a path to victory so for now we can take comfort in that.  The reality will probably lie somewhere in between an epic pac puke disaster and historic 2010-ish blocking.  Many of us are just one more decent storm away from calling this a solid winter.  

i wasn't saying i believe the operationals...but arguing the idea of a "flip back" in February...what they are showing is more like no flip at all.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Looks pretty decent, some good improvements through 78 with location of the low, flatter evolution at h5, and the high pressing down a bit. It should come 30-50 miles SE of where 0z was. Let's see what the next few frames have in store. 

Euro has a pretty smooth eastward trend the last few days. The kicker is faster every run.

Just now, Amped said:

Euro has a pretty smooth eastward trend the last few days. The kicker is faster every run.

Truly, us northern MD folk aren't far from getting a pretty good outcome, even on the Euro. Also a good sign as Will said in the NE forum is that the Euro isn't holding back on QPF. This is going to be a moisture laden event. A few more smooth shifts like you said and we would have a solid thump. 

Euro barely gets us above freezing. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

wxbell only archives a few days of EPS runs but the eps has also started pushing back the -nao.

d10 from the 12z run on the 14th

R5CzB6R.jpg

0z last night

QxAbKmF.jpg\

Like I just said, a delay is fine and something that's completely normal. Not happening at all would deflate the balloon 

To be fair...that 12z EPS run was a blip, it went heavy and hard with blocking and sped it up a couple days faster than previous runs...remember we were comparing it to the weeklies that evening that were based on the night before...and they were progressing faster and better.  The very next run of the EPS reverted to the previous look and the runs since have held.  If we exclude that one run from 12z on the 14th the progression and timeline on the EPS and Weeklies has been consistent for a while now with no more than a minor move in either direction.  Comparing it to that 12z run is a bit unfair.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

To be fair...that 12z EPS run was a blip, it went heavy and hard with blocking and sped it up a couple days faster than previous runs...remember we were comparing it to the weeklies that evening that were based on the night before...and they were progressing faster and better.  The very next run of the EPS reverted to the previous look and the runs since have held.  If we exclude that one run from 12z on the 14th the progression and timeline on the EPS and Weeklies has been consistent for a while now with no more than a minor move in either direction.  Comparing it to that 12z run is a bit unfair.  

I only picked it because it was the farthest back I could get. I just looked at the inbetween ones and agree with everything you just said. Let's see how it looks in an hour or 2 when 12z eps comes out. 

Like I've said a couple times, I don't mind a delay. It's only Jan 16th. We're not racing against the clock at all. If the entire thing evaporates I may melt worse than Ji. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I did a fairly quick look earlier and thought the same thing wrt the EPS. As for the GEFS, it still gets there but is delayed a couple days.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I only picked it because it was the farthest back I could get. I just looked at the inbetween ones and agree with everything you just said. Let's see how it looks in an hour or 2 when 12z eps comes out. 

Like I've said a couple times, I don't mind a delay. It's only Jan 16th. We're not racing against the clock at all. If the entire thing evaporates I may melt worse than Ji. 

I am sorry I didn't mean to imply you were cherry picking or misrepresenting on purpose...I figured you just used that because it was the furthest back run archived...but I remembered that run was an anomaly and just wanted to point it out.  

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I think @Bob Chill needs to start a separate thread for the weekend event.  Only him though because he's magical.

Ice storm Warning would be a nice treat.  But we all know to get a good ice storm you need sub 30F...sub 25F preferred.  32 just is a lot of drip during the day.  But CAD is often hard to break and seems to verify colder. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

While the same size is small I believe someone looked at El Niños where we had SOI issues in December.  Either ones that averaged near 0 or above.  The tendency was for January to be decent thereafter but then February tended to revert right back to what the December pattern was.  Even if the SOI in February was decently negative.  I know that Will in the New England forum has said many times before that in winters where the GOA low or trof is a problem in December it often will vanish for a period in January and boom most of those winters it’s back in February and your lousy pattern resumes. We saw that with 96-97, 98-99, 99-00, 01-02, 11-12.  January was by far coldest in all those winters but the bad December pattern came back after.  

Oh mercy...and only one those worked out in January here: 99-00. Kind of a big storm that month that put most of us at or above climo! Then February...practically nothing! 

Given that track record...I'd rather we try to score before January ends in case history wants to repeat itself (I hope not--only having January as a window is playing with longer odds) Again, some of this forum doesn't need to much more to hit climo...but those of us from Balt. City north? Yes, lol

One other thing..when comparing the weeklies and the EPS on wxbell at least the color scale isnt the same.  If you look at day 15 from last night and compare it to day 17 from the weeklies they are remarkably similar if you adjust for the different color scales being used.  

Example...for the weeklies day 17 its more red over greenland BUT if you look at the scale the heights are exactly the same as the day 15 EPS.  

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Looks like some legit backside light snow on the euro?  Western MD mountains stay all freezing/frozen this run.  Pretty close to the Ukmet.  

Sure looks that way. 

Ukmet did well so far, then the Euro followed. @mappy will be happy,  maybe this time legit backside snows become a relaity and we crash to single digits afterward.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@psuhoffman

Haven't been looking at the CFS weeklies for a few days. Have you seen this for week 3? This would actually work really well here. It's about the only way you can have bn heights in the NW and welcome them. lol

cfs-avg_z500aMean_nhem_3.png

Yea the CFS has fully flipped to support the Euro/UK/JMA pattern idea.  The CFS started to cave early in January then had a few runs where it reverted to warm but for the last week or so has really gone strong with that look and is only getting better each day.  To be fair the CFS nailed December and early January and the other seasonal guidance busted pretty badly on that period, but that only adds more weight to the fact the CFS has now come completely on board.  The CFS monthly looks the same as the Euro for February now.   It really is EVERYTHING vs the GFS/FV3 operationals at this point so I am not that worried.  Sometimes when I point something out and discuss/analyze it people think that means I am worried about it.  Noticing something and thinking critically about it is not the same thing as believing it or worrying about it.  That said I will feel a LOT better once we get this look into the medium range and start tracking specific HECS threats.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Sure looks that way. 

Ukmet did well so far, then the Euro followed. @mappy will be happy,  maybe this time legit backside snows become a relaity and we crash to single digits afterward.  

1-3 inches would be awesome on the backside with temps falling into the single digits overnight Sunday. I think that is probably best case scenario on the backend

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic