Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January/February Medium/Long Range Disco

nj2va

3 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Euro is much quicker than the rest of the models with the storm's arrival.  Has my area snowing by midday on Saturday.

AM Euro showing minor improvements, we are still a few days away. Overall, good trends from several models overnight.  

9 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Euro is much quicker than the rest of the models with the storm's arrival.  Has my area snowing by midday on Saturday.

It did slow down more though on it’s 6z run. 

I believe the snow maps that are being posted for our area still include tomorrow nights event on them. No? Shave an inch or so off...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, frd said:

Seems trends are good and started late day yesterday. 

When we opened this thread things started trending. Uh huh. That’s right! Hopefully by 18z today we’re all talking about how much we’re getting in our backyard. Nothing for the front yard though. :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, frd said:

AM Euro showing minor improvements, we are still a few days away. Overall, good trends from several models overnight.  

Comparing the Euro at 90h on 06z to 96h on 00z I see the vort over the deep south is a little further SW,  I'm assuming that's what we're looking for because that might imply better separation of the streams and less phasing?

3 minutes ago, Scraff said:

When we opened this thread things started trending. Uh huh. That’s right! Hopefully by 18z today we’re all talking about how much we’re getting in our backyard. Nothing for the front yard though. :lol:

So basically the overnight Euro moved towards the Ukie and the colder NAM , and the AM Euro shows less influence form the TPV. If the positive trends were to cotinue today this would be the focus to watch. 

I would think the evolution might mean, for certain areas,  a flip to snow at the end is becoming more likely. Then that sudden temp drop. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Comparing the Euro at 90h on 06z to 96h on 00z I see the vort over the deep south is a little further SW,  I'm assuming that's what we're looking for because that might imply better separation of the streams and less phasing?

That's what I see.  The NS was a little out in front compared to 0z and "leaving behind" the SS.  A phase does us no good.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, frd said:

So basically the overnight Euro moved towards the Ukie and the colder NAM , and the AM Euro shows less influence form the TPV. If the positive trends were to cotinue today this would be the focus to watch. 

I would think the evolution might mean, for certain areas,  a flip to snow at the end is becoming more likely. Then that sudden temp drop. 

i feel like decent back end snow never works out as we hope it does. the precip always moves out faster than the cold air rushing in. i know this particular front is pretty strong, so its possible the cold floods in before the departing storm. but ehhh. 

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A storm giving the northern tier good snow while semi-screwing the southern gang would balance the karma of things.

That's true, and as a DC guy I wouldn't even be mad considering we just scored.  My bar is low for this one.  If DC can get 1-2 inches as the arctic front came through I'd be more than happy.  

06z EPS mean maps look a little better for the DC area with a potential changeover.

Here is the 24 hour 06z snow map ending ending Sunday afternoon with 00z for comparison.

EPS 06z.png

EPS2.png

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

i feel like decent back end snow never works out as we hope it does. the precip always moves out faster than the cold air rushing in. i know this particular front is pretty strong, so its possible the cold floods in before the departing storm. but ehhh. 

This is definitely a better setup for you and psu to work that MD line magic, though.

• Like 2

Just now, PhineasC said:

This is definitely a better setup for you and psu to work that MD line magic, though.

yeah, I agree with that. I think, as things stand now, I could pick up a few inches before the flip to rain. but i never expect the flip back to snow to ever work out well. but, as i said, its a pretty strong front pushing through so its possible. 

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yeah, I hear ya. These types of situations never work out like you say, maybe 1 out of 5.  We have more time though, maybe if we are lucky even "some" backend snow would be nice.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Brrr......  afterwards   

1 minute ago, frd said:

Yeah, I hear ya. These types of situations never work out like you say, maybe 1 out of 5.  We have more time though, maybe if we are lucky even "some" backend snow would be nice.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Brrr......  afterwards   

haha, no need to cross fingers, though i appreciate it. the weather is gonna do what it do. ill take whatever i get :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anotherman said:

But the sleet turned into concrete and encased everything.  I couldn't move my car for awhile.

Yeah, the sleet caused its own issues, and it was incredibly hard to shovel. But we had no problems with the power, or with huge numbers of trees coming down, which is what ice storms tend to do.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic