Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Light Snow Event - 1/17-1/18 Obs and Discussion

nj2va

12 minutes ago, paxpatriot said:

Would love someone to explain exactly what we want from this storm in regards to Sunday. I keep seeing conflicting statements on it.

See Cranky for a more detailed discussion: http://www.stormhamster.com/entry2/e011419.htm

"Where the 1/17 system tracks the 1/20 will follow but perhaps at a slightly more southern course along the way. "

0114-013.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

12Z 3K gets snow into my area mid afternoon on Thursday. Very light stuff though. I think an inch through the area would be realistic. I wish the 3K went past 60.

Extrapolate my man.....

12k does look good for you guys.  Will be interesting to see if the GFS "caves" to the meso.  If it does, I'd keep an eye open for the weekend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Your snow algorithm must be more liberal.  I see a coating down to DC, about an inch extreme northern Montgomery County, and 2" right along the PA line up here.  

Yeah, I need to stop using the stormvista snow algorithm, seems like it's some trash.  I really like stormvista in general though. 

22 minutes ago, Amped said:

He basically says it won't. I agree, and so do most models.

Yes. Our problem for the weekend storm is the relaxing/weakening PNA ridge over the inter-mountain west. In turn, the eastern trof doesn't dig, which at our latitude allows the storm to go over or just west of us. The Thursday PM storm will have no effect on the weekend storm here.

Just now, Scraff said:

In NAM we trust. Whatcha got!?

If you look at its last 3 runs in a row it actually hasn’t jumped around a lot. Additionally, when the setup isn’t a complex low pressure evolution it does ok (imo) at mid 60hrs range. Albeit not as good as the globals. I still think it looks good and might be picking up on a colder trend with .5-1.5” for dc metro. I need my snow fix 

22 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

If you look at its last 3 runs in a row it actually hasn’t jumped around a lot. Additionally, when the setup isn’t a complex low pressure evolution it does ok (imo) at mid 60hrs range. Albeit not as good as the globals. I still think it looks good and might be picking up on a colder trend with .5-1.5” for dc metro. I need my snow fix 

Works for me! Just enough for a new whitening of all that dirty snow. ;)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

12z cmc gets snow almost down to the nc/va border. Positive trends at 12z for keeping most of the forum snow. If we can just get a solid precip shield to move through I think you could get a 2-4” surprise snowfall region wide with this one. 

Not sure it’s wet enough for .4, or even .3” qpf. I think .2 is probably max.

11 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Don't overlook the rule of thumb with slp passing to our NW. It won't be pretty dendrites and will create challenges with surface temps. I do think some will see accum snow out of the deal. My yard will probably be too far south/warm for much accums

So would you say the NAM’s and CMC are wrong with areas south of DC getting 2”?

RGEM ensemble thinks there's a reasonably good chance many of us see at least 2.5 mm precip as snow.  That's about 1" of snow at 10:1 ratios. 

m9lzVk0.png

Most ensemble members say that unless you're living in the mountains, you're probably not going to see 5 mm.

ETA:  This is only through 72 hours though, so there might be a little more to come.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

So would you say the NAM’s and CMC are wrong with areas south of DC getting 2”?

Yes. .20 qpf may fall as snow but that /= 2" of snow with very marginal temps. Weak low tracks to the NW do don't have good lift/snowgrowth. It's all warm air advection/overrunning/isentropic upglide. Flakes will be clumpy and mangled. Not always but it's a good rule of thumb with tracks like this. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic