Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Light Snow Event - 1/17-1/18 Obs and Discussion

nj2va

9 minutes ago, das said:

I’ll banter a bit since we’re in the lull. It’s been a good 20 years in Clarksburg. While further up Parr’s Ridge near @mappyand @psuhoffman certainly do better, it’s been amazingly consistent how often Clarksburg is the high total in the DC (actual) metro area. It’s a great combo of just enough elevation on the ridge, just far enough east so it’s out of the lee shadow of the Appalachians, just low enough to be below CAD inversions and my place is in a depression on NE facing hill so I get cold air drainage into the area and lower sun so the ground stays cold relative to the surrounding areas and I catch every possible flake. It’s like my own tiny microclimate version of the Canaan Valley. 

Alternately, my place in Vermont where I am spending my weekends now is the exact opposite. I live in the absolute least snowy area in the entire state. It’s so weird to track and report the (relatively) low total when everyone else is “cashing in” around me. Quite the juxtaposition. 

Let me know if you need help reporting low totals; I have 8 years experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

ever since I got out of APS they've been the wimpiest school district in the area. they've been 2-hour delayed since 6:00pm today I think.

fyi, for those who want to know why, they literally had a policy change because of the mid-November storm where they screwed the pooch. Now any snow pretty much at all means they preemptively 2-hour delay.

This.  In November they had a regular day when they should have closed.  Roads were a mess, buses were crashing, etc.  Now the new policy is to call a delay the night before so they can reassess in the morning whether to close.  

12 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I've got .5" down in Charlottesville, which is pretty much the south, and I've got the best returns in the area right now. Might make a run at 1". 

Got 0.5” over in Stafford too, may make a run at 1” as well. Not sure what just happens in the thread, but Radar looks great between Fredericksburg and Charlottesville.

Just now, jaydreb said:

This.  In November they had a regular day when they should have closed.  Roads were a mess, buses were crashing, etc.  Now the new policy is to call a delay the night before so they can reassess in the morning whether to close.  

I bet that policy will change again when they're forced to call nine delays in February and March...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

ever since I got out of APS they've been the wimpiest school district in the area. they've been 2-hour delayed since 6:00pm today I think.

fyi, for those who want to know why, they literally had a policy change because of the mid-November storm where they screwed the pooch. Now any snow pretty much at all means they preemptively 2-hour delay.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

i would say hurry up and get here snow but then again it would be better if its slow, as long as it can arrive. patience

It looks like there might be some dry air eating up the returns moving eastward down 95 in NOVA... greens advancing into Maryland but can't make it to Fairfax county.

16 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I was surprised to see Arlington close on Tuesday and announce quickly today too!  However, sometimes it takes 1 bad decision and they try to repair for the next several years.  PW Co schools had several people in accidents many years ago because of ice so they started closing for everything. FCPS started closing pretty quickly after the #closefcps storm when they didn’t delay or close. Lots of staff and parents in accidents, buses stuck, etc.  I wonder if Arlington had a lot of problems on Nov 15th and don’t want a repeat. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic