Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

We def want Sunday's shortwave stronger and to push heights south behind it. That would make Tuesday better. That's what the happy hour GFS does. 

Every single one of these waves like Sunday has looked good this year . All models have them and even at 2 days they look good. Then we lose them . Hopefully this isn’t the same deal 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Happy hour GFS run....Sunday more interesting and then a warning event for Tuesday in SNE.

That overnight Sunday--> monday evolution narily misses an apocalypse man... holy shit

ho ... if only..  Get that 498 core 400 miles S, which at this range is a dime in Met, ... watch out...

Heh, nice that the pattern changed, huh  :whistle:

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What's the ORH 81-10 norm using your 90s numbers? I think CON will make up a couple inches on their norms after ditching the obs from the airport.

81-10 is 66.9" if I fix the bad 1990s data with our reconstructed F6 data. I think NCDC has it around 64 and change. 

Obviously that number is going to go way higher when we replace the 1980s with the 2010s. The current 1990-2018 average is like 75" or 76". But it is still going to have the bad 1990s data in there...even the first few years of the 2000s were bad data. 

Edit: I didn't realize CON isn't measuring at the airport anymore. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Bitch Please :DJSpin 11-12 115 ,12-13 144, 13-14 142, 14-15 144, 15-16 72, 

lol you know what I mean.  When Boston suburbs get 100"+, J.Spin's 144" is just about average for him ;)

2011-12 is probably the last winter we beat SNE sites as a percentage of normal snowfall.  Not actual inches but percentage of normal.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

lol you know what I mean.  When Boston suburbs get 100"+, J.Spin's 144" is just about average for him ;)

2011-12 is probably the last winter we beat SNE sites as a percentage of normal snowfall.  Not actual inches but percentage of normal.

What is the climo normal for the closest first order station I would like to fact check your assumption 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Every single one of these waves like Sunday has looked good this year . All models have them and even at 2 days they look good. Then we lose them . Hopefully this isn’t the same deal 

It falls apart south then north. Funny how mid Novie trended ideally. Should that be the best event, we will never hear the end of the “big fall snows equate to rat winters”. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You can't make this stuff up anymore. 

This is like the winter that seemingly wants to say "Thanks for putting up with 2012-2016 when Vermonters smoked more cirrus than herb". 

ecmwf_tsnow_neng_37.thumb.png.3fa7702b2d063c09ef40c1d0aa07bbe5.png

Boy that’s quite a gradient just to my east. I’m frolicking in powder while klw and Allenson(assuming he’s still around these parts) are raging at the light coating and slush. That would be a rare feat. 

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It falls apart south then north. Funny how mid Novie trended ideally. Should that be the best event, we will never hear the end of the “big fall snows equate to rat winters”. 

Well I just meant I think the bigger event is Monday or Tuesday. Every time we’ve tried to have one of these weaker waves modeled to drop at least advisory snows a day or two in advance of the main course.. they’ve all hit the meat grinder. I can think of 3-4 of them 

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We should really be comparing standard dev rather than percentage of normal. Like a 2 sigma winter in BOS is prob over double their average snowfall while a 2 sigma winter in Stowe is like 140% of average or something. You don't see double annual snowfall in Stowe. That's like 4 sigma lol. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

We should really be comparing standard dev rather than percentage of normal. Like a 2 sigma winter in BOS is prob over double their average snowfall while a 2 sigma winter in Stowe is like 140% of average or something. You don't see double annual snowfall in Stowe. That's like 4 sigma lol. 

Yeah I like that metric.  I've always thought it was tough to compare, you have total snowfall and you have percent of average.  But yet mountains and their valleys in NNE rarely seem to deviate from even 70-130% snowfall.  Great way to account for the differences in annual snowfall amounts.  Would be interesting to compare to see if it matches up with perception.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Models struggle w the very compressed zonal flow. As they hone in (inside) 48 hours ... shred city . Short wave stretches:elongates:weakens ....poof 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I was going to ask if that total again was too low 

It was. There's only been a couple events there so still too early to make any assumptions, but if they get a few more events where BOS is so egregiously low, I don't see how they can continue to use them.