Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I still won't be surprised to sneak a major event in or even a very good stretch, but  I'm growing pretty confident that my outlook sucks azz. I don't really care to discuss right now whether it looks worse than it really is, but the bottom line is that its probably wrong.

Agreed on first sentence and last one 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This season and 2015 are both once in a lifetime imo.

So far no widespread nickel/dime events for SNE which is almost unheard of this deep into winter.  I am at about 19" mostly from 2 storms with a couple of .5" events sprinkled in.  Tomorrow should continue that trend here.  How can it be so difficult to get 1-3" snow events?

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Meh...it's January. 40-50" in Feb/Mar for BOS would be a good run and make the season pretty much forgettable.

Yes, I still think that's more likely than not, but the longer range looking eerily similar to a month ago is uncanny....of course given that same evolution, we probably score a few events.

We'll see.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

That actually happened to me, here ...in SNE ...  My proclivity for forgetfulness with weather events and their dates has me at a loss as to what winter it was... but it was a recent one.  I left my iPhone on the front passenger seat of my car while at the gym.  One hour work out, came out ... phone was unresponsive.  I hadn't ever considered any limitations related to temperature and that particular technology, but I know first hand that there is some form of temperature band-width.  I wonder if there is an upper bound for that matter.  Interesting.. What I do recall was the temperature being -6 F on the dash-indicator.  An hour later ... while sitting in a warm cozy office chair, sipping a Gatorade and deflating over mindless web pap on my PC ... the interface of the phone starts glowing ...then, pops back to life with, the standard fare of icons working again.

If my iPhone got punch drunk at -6 ... they're gonna be in a comms black out up there, one might wonder. 

It's an example of how technology is effecting sociologically ... For a myriad of other reasons aside, civility becoming increasingly reliant upon the Internet, and/or the general WAN of a wired society ... that mere daily functioning becomes (as an aside, 'dangerously') dependent upon it - so much so that one could conceive a scenario where a 'state of emergency' has to be issue, because that dependency becomes inaccessible too acutely and quickly to adjust ... rendering a break-down in public safety on multiple levels.

It's funny ...putting it into perspective... For all conceits of man and how their ingenuity creates marvels ... a cold day cripples. This and these regional inconveniences ... they can serve as a nice microcosmic example of fragility, exposing how vulnerability is just there ... beyond the faux walls of technological conveniences that keep us preoccupied.

It's funny, I believe humanity is more vulnerable now than they were during the Golden Age, because of how vulnerable and dependent we are on technology.  Back during the Classical Era people tended to be more resourceful, now they resort to their phone calculators to do basic math.  Put someone out in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone service and it would be painful watching them trying to navigate their way back home.  I shudder to think what a massive solar storm (like a Carrington Event) would do to them and to our infrastructure.

Technology also makes young brains more vulnerable- studies are showing that the iGen has significant brain structure differences because of information overload from a very young age, though what this will lead to in the future, no one knows yet.

16 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, I still think that's more likely than not, but the longer range looking eerily similar to a month ago is uncanny....of course given that same evolution, we probably score a few events.

We'll see.

There is probably some sort of feedback going on where the same pattern repeats itself.  That happened in 2014-15 and probably this year also.

20 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to be a "beyotch" ... but, I don't think this is climate rearing it's head as much as a "glitch in the matrix" 

I just think this is a statistical aberration along a climate that's not only already changed...but is still changing.  Possibly said "aberration" is related causally to the latter - like ... growing pains. 

I think the climate change is affecting/effecting eastern North America too... I probably roll-eyes in the local users more so than raise eyebrows saying that - understood.  But, increased snow fall is a part of a warmer atmosphere. 

See...folks think that warmth means warm days - ... it does...or, "can" we should say.  But that's more like 50 ...100, 200 years into the future that you can count on D.C. weather in Boston.  In the interim, there's enough cold around that increasing the ambient theta-e mass due to the atmosphere being warmer, will cause increased rain and snow fall.  The climate models have been indicating this since these models have been committed to super computers and we're probably just experiencing our flavor of that from D.C. to Maine.  

No.... it's just my opinion, but... I suggest this year has just been dumb luck for lack of simpler dialogue on the matter.  Maybe "bad luck" is part of yours/the bigger climate picture for New England?  Sure... fine. No problem believing in a kosmik dildo pump quota. I've lived here long enough to be on both the receiving and delivery end of that fortune.  Excluding that factor for a moment, it is possible this year (even...holy shit imagine that...) to have one of these cold air mass actually time well with one or two of these bigger QPF bombs and suddenly you go from in shit to in charge in a real hurry. 

I know I know ...it's just impossible to see reality through the lenz of unmitigated sore-buttness but you just have to higher a masseuse and keep a chin up and a stolid objectivity in the face of all tormented hells... It's called bravery I suppose.  

It's interesting because most of the climate models show that the most changes should be occurring the closer you are to the poles and the closer you are to the ocean/land interface.  Thats the reason the Arctic has been warming much faster than the Antarctic for example and why Chicago has had extreme record winter lows while NYC has not.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:18 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Europe has been cold but that isn't where the largest chunk of it went....

IMG_2341.PNG

Having lived through the 80s when it was much colder and much less snowy, I can tell you that extreme cold is not what we want (it causes suppression).  Average cold with a strong southern stream and Greenland blocking is much better.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

I've seen it before ... several times...

Hell, it was 9 F at dawn one faithful morning in late January, 1994 ...and it was 64 at 11 pm with howling southerly gales that very same evening up and UML.

We did that inside of the same 12 to 18 hours let alone 2 or 3 days.  There are others in the old rolladex of memories.... Granted, it may not be that common -

I guess your 'magnitude' part didn't resonate as loudly with me.

Yes I remember that well!  Here we started out at 0 F (the second Arctic outbreak to do that in the same month!) and we were at 32 F by midnight and 58 F the next day with a rainstorm.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:08 AM, dendrite said:

Widespread -40s in northern MN this morning. The AWOSs can’t even report that cold. INL -45°. No thanks.

edit....saw a -48F at Ash Lake. 

Your breath would freeze right on your lips at that temp.  I wonder if they have to use special thermometers to measure extreme cold and at what temp conventional thermometers no longer work?

I've also read that at even colder temps like those encountered in Antarctica, let's just say that human liquids can freeze before they even make it out.

That happens in Alaska too.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:55 AM, weathafella said:

I’ve also experienced the cell phone phenomenon.   Go out to walk the dog on a very cold night and the battery drains quickly.   This cold should be the temperature nadir of winter.  We’re actually heading into a decent pattern long term but the obscene EPO seems over for now.

I agree, we usually see two extreme Arctic episodes per season and our biggest snowfalls usually happen within a couple of weeks after the second one.  1993-94 was like this.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, Albert A Clipper said:

I passed through there on the way back from salt lake last Tuesday....meh, typical Chicago in January, dreary, 26 degrees...freezing snizzle....nothing to write home about. 

i was in oakabrook terrace, we got down to -5 to -10F on 2 nights. one of those days the wind in the city was just awful. that was before the cold snap, luckily i left in time.