Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it is...but the key is not having that PV drop so sharply south like on the OP run....so that it sort of cedes the best mechanics back to the southwest and invites a storm to ride almost due north up the frontal boundary to our west. If we can moderate that southward dive a bit on future runs then this would probably provide a pretty good outcome for us.

The op is probably overdoing that.

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I am curious how some of those heavy packed locations in Maine's snowmobile country are doing from all of this.

They are still in CAD in all the snow mobile areas from near Bridgeton to Bethel up to Rangeley and then northeast toward Millinocket. They won't lose much at all there. Prob just fill the pack with water.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I was wondering how Mitch was doing out there with upslope rain and a gigantic pack 

He didn't lose that much I bet.  Probably was in the low 40s for max temps/dews and had a ton of qpf in it already.

Just as reference--had over 3" of rain here and went from 12-13" to 7"

6 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I am curious how some of those heavy packed locations in Maine's snowmobile country are doing from all of this.

will find out saturday. Was going to go tomorrow, but this is worse than I thought it would be. What happened to 1"rn? My bucket is jammed with melting snow, but I bet we're close that now and looks like hours of rn left. fuk this crap

23 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Snow pack in my area of Central NH is doing just fine right now.  Temps mostly in the 30's.  Warm air is riding just above the surface in many locations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dpb1983 said:

So much time wasted snow-blowing on Monday...

It's true... buuut, there are folks with handicap family members ...and also, business can't afford to f -around with that and liability so they have to treat every one like it's the onset of the next ice-age. 

But if  you're some young, robust singles person or family... it could be construed as relegated to a time waste.   I've done this in the past ... just plied weather acumen and opted not to shovel out ... particularly in March events I'll assess the necessity.  Or in a situation like this...  But, there's always the possibility for mechanical injury regardless of one's age and base health.

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My modest N ORH pack is pretty wiped out today.  54F and a ton of rain

First time in over 20 years our main road was flooded

Greenfield has only had a few hours of 48-50F so I think the late start on the warm up helped.  

Probably 3-4" of sponge in town, 4-5" my hood.   Next we go glacier I guess.   I best get a few buckets of sand for the driveway today. 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

will find out saturday. Was going to go tomorrow, but this is worse than I thought it would be. What happened to 1"rn? My bucket is jammed with melting snow, but I bet we're close that now and looks like hours of rn left. fuk this crap

Grab a paper bag and take deep breaths for christ sake.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it is...but the key is not having that PV drop so sharply south like on the OP run....so that it sort of cedes the best mechanics back to the southwest and invites a storm to ride almost due north up the frontal boundary to our west. If we can moderate that southward dive a bit on future runs then this would probably provide a pretty good outcome for us.

How about we go all-in and dive that SOB to the Virginia Capes?

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

They are still in CAD in all the snow mobile areas from near Bridgeton to Bethel up to Rangeley and then northeast toward Millinocket. They won't lose much at all there. Prob just fill the pack with water.

There will still be a lot of pack in the mts and north, but every un-bridged low sag may be filled with sled-grabbing slush until things refreeze.  Maybe Saturday morning's near zero will firm things up enough, but it may take more than one such overnight.  If an eager groomer operator guesses wrong, it won't be pretty.

This winter has more freeze up and melt outs than any I can recall since I moved here in '08.  It's been like mud season every 2 weeks since December.

I've retained snow cover since the dense 2" on Nov. 10, but almost every snow event has ended with liquid, until this past Sunday at least and even it had significant pingers.  Hope I have sufficient wood ashes to make the driveway safe for humanity tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I was wondering how Mitch was doing out there with upslope rain and a gigantic pack 

Not bad at all actually. This pack really is absorbing it like a sponge and I don't think I lost more than 6". Last year's thaw on 1/12 was far worse in terms of flooding around here for whatever reason. We had about a 2 foot pack prior to that event, but it nearly got wiped out unlike this event where it's held up comparatively well.

Pretty much over to all snow now, albeit wet. 

• Like 1