Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even the runs that start kind of amped really get pinched as they try to amplify. I am not silly enough to rule out a cutter but I'm kind of skeptical of one. That PV is strong and it going to be a lot of resistance. Wouldn't surprise me if we got the classic SE trend around day 3-4 followed by the last minute latent heat north trend inside of 36 hours and the final result is pretty wintry. 

Yeah I think there'll be a good south tick at the 48-84 hour zone of model guidance.  Those anafrontal systems I remember like to go that way (SE) leading in.  Then there'll be some NAM run that brings sleet to MWN and everyone loses their shit.

The system wants to cut but the PV won't let it...going to be a long few days of model runs.  It's still like 2-3 days out from getting to the meso-models.  An eternity for model land.

• Haha 1

Honestly this set-up sort of reminds me of March 6-7, 2011 with a huge QPF storm running along a stalled boundary.  Just that system was NNY and NVT but this one will be a lot further south...but the idea is the same with a very strong thermal gradient and a moisture rich low riding up along the boundary.  It was like 10F with 25" of snow up north while ORH was 50F and inbetween was one heck of a sleet/ice storm.  

That event also trended south in the final two days or so as the boundary kept sagging south.

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What are these positive depth change maps?  They make no sense with the model run.  Like 18-30" in NNE?  Where is the GFS even close to that.

I am not sure.  I assume that 1- they don't include sleet unlike the "snowfall maps on Tropical Tidbits" and 2-take into account temp but those are my assumptions.  They were typically lower than the "snowfall" maps until the last couple of storms.  Comparing the two it seems to show less snowfall in the ice/sleet area of SNE and more snowfall in the colder sections.  Either way they are 6 day clown maps.

gfs_asnow_neus_27.pnggfs_asnowd_neus_27.png

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I have a feeling the storm center gets stronger with a further south track, why the push of the very cold air mass southward over the Gulf Stream, and yes that would aide bombogenesis

Of course you do. If winter outcomes were based on feelings, you’d get a stroke from over excitement.  

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even the runs that start kind of amped really get pinched as they try to amplify. I am not silly enough to rule out a cutter but I'm kind of skeptical of one. That PV is strong and it going to be a lot of resistance. Wouldn't surprise me if we got the classic SE trend around day 3-4 followed by the last minute latent heat north trend inside of 36 hours and the final result is pretty wintry. 

100% agreed. The current nw trend is music to my ears.

• Like 1

The polar vortex seems to oscillate from east to north to west to south and then east, and every time it cycles a new disturbance emerges from the west coast of the CONUS, and moves through the US lower 48.  AS it cycles and moves to eastern Hudson Bay a storm emerges on the East Cost, I favor a more eastward solution given the placement of the Polar vortex.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

LOL what is it doing at 150. Redeveloping low to south. 

I mean it's not just that model had poor resolution and/or just ... flat f'n incorrect resolution in the boundary layer, it's got bizarro physics down here...

I've seen it do this in the past, where that behavior (like you described) exhibits an awareness of BL resistance/CAD/cold thickness packing and squeeze south...yet it simultaneously warms the interior with phantom CF penetration NW while the wind is blowing FROM the NE - hello  :wacko2:

Yeah... put my money not so much on poor resolution .. but just f-ed up resolution.  Not kidding I've flat out noticed these like concurrent physically impossible results at other times.

It did it during heat waves going the other direction last year too -  I seriously hope this new paralegal run is better than this... oy

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

What's with the freaking out over the EPS? They looked stellar to me. There's a mild risk at a 1-2 day milder period around D9-10 but the signal is weak. The 11-15 is going full weenie mode...that NAO signal getting louder and louder. 

Winter enthusiasts should want that anyway... In a hemispheric sloped pattern, a warm-up preludes a bomb ...

numb-nuts

the 26-27th has been showing up frequently among the various GEFs members ...there's probably something in there...whether it turns out to be a trough/flexer/cold wave reinforcing shot or a storm (or both) is gee, less certain that anything before that but ...once in the favorable pattern, all intervals of interest are non-negligible.