Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Go Kart Mozart said:

Ryan, if the precip is heavy enough, will latent heat release save us?  Or will the LL cold overwhelm the latent heat?

It's not so much the Low Level Cold you should be worried about, it's the mid levels.  I still believe with that track the Euro depicts the Mid Levels would be cold enough to support snow at this time.

7 minutes ago, Greg said:

It's not so much the Low Level Cold you should be worried about, it's the mid levels.  I still believe with that track the Euro depicts the Mid Levels would be cold enough to support snow at this time.

As modeled there's plenty of cold being advected south during the storm. But we're so far out you can't really sa anything with certaintyt. 

25 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Needham, 1921

Needham-Mass-Ice-Storm-Nov-28-1921-pc1.jpg

This looks SO tame compared to what my town looked like in 2008.  There was literally no passable road out of Plaistow, NH that didn't require a chainsaw.  Absolute and total devastation.  We had telephone poled across out street with wires in the street for 6 days before crews even got to our area.

Just now, Greg said:

I know it was over 100 years ago but storms don't care about exact time frames or semantics.  1886 would be horrendous today.

I understand.  Just that it’s not like it just happened and now we’re saying it could happen again. Clearly that’s rare but no reason to think it couldn’t reoccur. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

More spread SE right?

There's a tight cluster southeast...def at least half. And then to the northwest there  are a bunch of different types of storms including furnace cutters. The safest play is to stick with the tighter cluster but people need to understand that even a cutter can't be ruled out. 

• Like 1