Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

Just now, Hoth said:

Jesus, if that's the preferred mode, I'd like a cutter. Don't think I've ever seen 2" of ice in this area and I don't ever want to. 

Totally with you on this. December 2008 ice storm was a disaster here in Central Mass. The only plus was the mild weather that followed. That isn't going to be the case going forward.

Lets throw in the dice and go for a cutter.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's going to be no wet snow with this storm. Low levels are absolutely frigid. 

I agree on leaning more toward sleet than ZR though. Typically an airmass this cold will want to sleet. We will really need to torch the midlevels really high. Prob like +6-8 at minimum to get ZR because the arctic layer is so cold and pretty thick near the ground. 

Agree totally on this.  Only the thinest of cold layers wouldn't refreeze at those temps.

Hopefully, GC can pull more SN than ip.

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Those wxbell algorithms hate ip. Its either snow or zr which is bs. 

This.....although does anyone have any good published papers regarding surface freezing layer thickness and freezing rain. Like if the freezing layer is 3000 ft, but the precipitation is falling quick enough, does it have time to freeze again? Or is it's velocity too high to actually form pellets?

Keep in mind that aside from those maps underplaying sleet too much, the ZR qpf amounts do not mean that is what you accrue on the trees and power lines. Your accretion rate is probably going to be about half to two thirds of that and even a bit less when the precip rate is very heavy. The rest you will lose to runoff. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's going to be no wet snow with this storm. Low levels are absolutely frigid. 

I agree on leaning more toward sleet than ZR though. Typically an airmass this cold will want to sleet. We will really need to torch the midlevels really high. Prob like +6-8 at minimum to get ZR because the arctic layer is so cold and pretty thick near the ground. 

I think Wes has said anything above 4C completely melts the snow.

3 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Are Euro soundings available anywhere? Free or paid? I really want to see what it looks like. Taking verbatim at hour 148 for KASH:

SFC -6 C

925 -5 C

850 5 C

750 -2 C

Windy.com has soundings but its just a plot of the course resolution upper level temps that exist elsewhere on the internet (925, 850, 700, 500) i think real soundings would be super pricey. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Keep in mind that aside from those maps underplaying sleet too much, the ZR qpf amounts do not mean that is what you accrue on the trees and power lines. Your accretion rate is probably going to be about half to two thirds of that and even a bit less when the precip rate is very heavy. The rest you will lose to runoff. 

This could be pretty efficient though with the arctic dry air source advecting in and temps so low to begin with.

Just now, dendrite said:

I think Wes has said anything above 4C completely melts the snow.

Right but you can still get refreezing of the rain drops when you have a deep cold layer...esp when the min temp in the cold layer is below -6C. In this case we'd prob have cold layer at least -9C or -10C. So you want to really warm that raindrop up to prevent it from refreezing on the way down. 

I've read in papers that once you get that warm layer to about +6 or +7, it becomes pretty hard to refreeze. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that's merely QPF as ZR/IP.  

But still, after 4-8" of snow another 1-2" QPF IP/ZR is a huge impact event if that's what someone gets.  

850s were toasty but SFC frigid...I mean 850mb freezing was up near CON on that Euro run while it's below freezing at the SFC to like the south coast.