• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Events Jan 17-20

ChescoWx

Looking more and more like a plain rain event now for 95. Maybe a few flakes to start. Even up towards allentown and lehigh valley it may be mostly sleet and possibly change to rain. I'd expect totals even up in the pocono's to take a hit due to sleet as well. Terrible trends in close, this winter blows. Looking forward to arctic temps for 2 days followed by another rain storm....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stormman96 said:

Yea what are they looking at.  Showing 4-8 for upper bucks an has temps staying below freezing entire event 

I'm thinking they are basing it off climo too. Alot of times the CAD is severely under forecasted right up to the event. Their discussion is actually a really good read. But yeah almost no models have that anymore. 

2 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I'm thinking they are basing it off climo too. Alot of times the CAD is severely under forecasted right up to the event. Their discussion is actually a really good read. But yeah almost no models have that anymore. 

No question this is turning out to be one of the worst winters in a very long time.  I knew that November snow was going to kill our winter an some pros told me that wasnt true back in November an said that only applies woth October snow. Obviously that is incorrect.  Looks like more rain late next week. We are going to have to hope for the snowiest February in history in order to save this winter.  A lot of outlooks look to be going up in flames

1 hour ago, hurricane1091 said:

Non event for me and I'm not mad. FRZ isn't fun. All the rain will freeze after the fact though, interested in seeing how that plays out. 

that's a concern i have. I'm supposed to travel back from eastern long island to chester county on Sunday afternoon. no way to know for sure but wondering about the potential for a significant flash freeze between before 6pm? i'm hoping to cold stays off long enough to get back home safe

Latest Wxsim with 12z models still showing a front end thump with a little earlier arrival of snow for NW Chester County PA - here is the rundown

Light snow arrives by 130pm / Mod Snow at 3pm / Heavy Snow at 5pm continuing thru 830pm with 5.0" of snow by that time. Mix of Snow and heavy sleet through 1130 pm with 2" to 3" of sleet (Total snow/sleet 7-8") before a brief change to ZR and then rain by 1230am continuing till 7am with 1.00" of rain with temps reaching 37 before starting to fall late AM

hmmm 12z hi res wrf-NSSL is very interesting. Here is the warmest panel I could find. Looks like we wet bulb and surface temps hang tight in a classic CAD formation. 95 stays at or below freezing the entire time. Could it be on to something? It is the only model that has nailed the temps today being in the low-mid 30's as opposed to low 40's...

sfct_b.us_ne.png

Here's the formula for CAD detection, \nabla ^{2}x={\frac  {{\frac  {x_{{3}}-x_{{2}}}{d_{{2-3}}}}-{\frac  {x_{2}-x_{1}}{d_{{1-2}}}}}{{\frac  {1}{2}}(d_{{2-3}}+d_{{1-2}})}}

From Wikipedia: "This algorithm is used to identify the specific type of CAD events based on the surface pressure ridge, its associated cold dome, and ageostrophic northeasterly flow which flows at a significant angle to the isobaric pattern. These values are calculated using hourly data from surface weather observations. The Laplacian of sea level pressure or potential temperature in the mountain-normal—perpendicular to the mountain chain—direction provides a quantitative measure of the intensity of a pressure ridge or associated cold dome. The detection algorithm is based upon Laplacians (\nabla ^{2}x) evaluated for three mountain-normal lines constructed from surface observations in and around the area affected by the cold air damming—the damming region. The "x" denotes either sea level pressure or potential temperature (θ) and the subscripts 1–3 denote stations running from west to east along the line, while the "d" represents the distance between two stations. Negative Laplacian values are typically associated with pressure maxima at the center station, while positive Laplacian values usually correspond to colder temperatures in the center of the section.[13]

Map of CAD detection surface stations

Map of the labeled weather stations in the Southeastern US that are suitable for use in the CAD detection algorithm"

I'm sure there is a model out there somewhere to look at just this

13 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

another WRF meso model keeps SE PA all frozen...here's the warmest panel...could the meso models be keying on the CAD better? Would not be the first time. Very interesting developments.

wrf-arw2_ref_frzn_neus_42.png

I suppose it's a possibility.  I mean we have everything from the 50s (that I can't see happening) and this map.  Split the difference and that moves the snow/rain/mix line a little further south? Even though the low is riding the PA.MD boarder?   Interesting though.

25 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Here's the formula for CAD detection, \nabla ^{2}x={\frac  {{\frac  {x_{{3}}-x_{{2}}}{d_{{2-3}}}}-{\frac  {x_{2}-x_{1}}{d_{{1-2}}}}}{{\frac  {1}{2}}(d_{{2-3}}+d_{{1-2}})}}

From Wikipedia: "This algorithm is used to identify the specific type of CAD events based on the surface pressure ridge, its associated cold dome, and ageostrophic northeasterly flow which flows at a significant angle to the isobaric pattern. These values are calculated using hourly data from surface weather observations. The Laplacian of sea level pressure or potential temperature in the mountain-normal—perpendicular to the mountain chain—direction provides a quantitative measure of the intensity of a pressure ridge or associated cold dome. The detection algorithm is based upon Laplacians (\nabla ^{2}x) evaluated for three mountain-normal lines constructed from surface observations in and around the area affected by the cold air damming—the damming region. The "x" denotes either sea level pressure or potential temperature (θ) and the subscripts 1–3 denote stations running from west to east along the line, while the "d" represents the distance between two stations. Negative Laplacian values are typically associated with pressure maxima at the center station, while positive Laplacian values usually correspond to colder temperatures in the center of the section.[13]

Map of CAD detection surface stations

Map of the labeled weather stations in the Southeastern US that are suitable for use in the CAD detection algorithm"

I'm sure there is a model out there somewhere to look at just this

Dude this is exactly what I was just thinking to myself! 

Governor Wolf just declared a state of emergency here in PA.  A number of restrictions have been imposed for the weekend - https://6abc.com/weather/gov-tom-wolf-declares-state-of-emergency-for-pa/5095938/

A commercial vehicle ban will be in place between 12 p.m. Saturday and 12 p.m. Sunday on all interstates and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, except for Interstate 95 in southeastern Pennsylvania to allow snow plow crews to have a clearer route.

The ban will also be imposed on the U.S. 22 expressway in the Lehigh Valley and the Pennsylvania Route 33 expressway in Northampton and Monroe counties.

State officials urge motorists to use caution during the storm, postpone travel if possible, reduce speeds and be aware of the potential for rapidly changing weather and roadway conditions.

Speed limits will be restricted to 45 mph on the interstates and expressways as the storm progresses.