Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Events Jan 17-20

ChescoWx

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Didnt you just cancel winter in the banter thread?

Cancel it no, sick of it yes yearning for spring. Ice storms suck electricity keeps me warm.

I would like nothing else but cancel winter as i am a first and middle third of winter person, unfortunately it looks like white rain chances will go through March.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This really looks like one of those January 1994 Ice storms. Areas further southeast like NW Chesco and KOP were deep into the ZR while areas just 25 miles west and north were snow. I think the 12z Euro means paint this scenario very well and would not be surprised to see something like this....but of course it can and will change before Saturday eve.

I worked for a heating oil company in 1994.  A January I will never forget.  We quickly became a 24/7 operation in both the oil delivery and service departments, as well as manning the office for dispatch.  I worked in service.  The police would come to the door giving us service calls as customers were calling 911 since they couldn't get through on our telephone lines. For days, once I arrived to work (which was hell but our boss had us car pooling and/or had us driven in) -it would be at least and hour and a half before I could even put the receiver down and take a sip of coffee.  With the power outages, of course there wasn't much we could do to get the heat on and I had a list of over 100-150 homes that had frozen.  As the homes would re gain power we would send a team over with an ice breaker machine (it sends an electric shock through the pipes to break up the ice) and finally get the heater started.  This went on for at least 3 weeks!!  Then in March we had record flooding on the Brandywine as the ice jams thawed.  I know of about a half dozen homes that had just froze, now got flooded!   Ice?   No thanks.  Can't drive anywhere in it, and it can wreck your home if you're left without heat too long.

Ugh I remember the 1994 ice storms.  During the infamous early January ones, when the tri-state area was completely out of salt (both road salt and consumer ice melt). I had to go on a work-related trip to Baltimore on Amtrak.  So decided to drive in and leave the car at 30th Street station and on my way downtown, was considering going up on the expressway (I-76) figuring it would be cleared since it's considered a "primary". But as I approached the ramp to City Line which would go to 76, KYW traffic was announcing that they were closing it, so I kept right on past and went to the station via the Kelly Drive.  Ended up that people were trapped on the Schuylkill expressway for like 8 hours. 

Luckily I got down to Baltimore and back just fine a few days later and was able to buy a couple bags of Halite rock salt down there to bring back in my suitcase!  Our house ended up being the only one on the block with a sidewalk that was clear and dry! :thumbsup:

How much further s can this come in? I don't think 95 can see all snow but something like the Euro 3-6" followed by sleet and freezing rain would be a major event. Things have quickly got interesting down here. Will the trends continue or do we see things level off from here? The -AO definitely looks to stay in place although it approaches positive. It creates just enough blocking for most of us. Very very close to everyone being in the game. Next 24 hours should be fun between the minor event and tracking this.

How much further s can this come in? I don't think 95 can see all snow but something like the Euro 3-6" followed by sleet and freezing rain would be a major event. Things have quickly got interesting down here. Will the trends continue or do we see things level off from here? The -AO definitely looks to stay in place although it approaches positive. It creates just enough blocking for most of us. Very very close to everyone being in the game. Next 24 hours should be fun between the minor event and tracking this.

I’m like 6-12” for Lv

29 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Saw a ukmet map posted in the MA earlier (for 0z) and it treated us fairly well too.

Oops, just noticed jrodd posted it up above, lol. Probably where I saw it to begin with.