Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

31 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

Yes, I am real concern that the totals are no where near correct for this storm event even for the clown maps. I believe the clown snow maps of 12-15 inches are way underdone for one reason- the 10:1 ratio will be more like 17:1 or better because of the dropping temps.. Factor those in and you will have a SECS easily maybe even BECS. Look at the dropping temps guys- you do not see that in most storms for our area. You also will see drifting of snow  bigtime at those ratios.

SECS = 6-12

MECS =12-24

HECS = 24-36

BECS =36+

I'm just posting this because you made quite a jump from SECS to BECS, I wasn't sure if you knew of the two in between and purposely skipped them, but I like your thinking.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

Guys you know HECS and BECS and whatever are just made up words, right?  Call any storm whatever you want.  I personally am partially to BOOB (Bombogensis Offshore Over Benchmark).

Not true, I use them in sentences everyday.

I'm hoping for some secs today, but first I'm going to have some tex mecs.

The witch put a hecs on me, so I drank a lot of becs to ease my anxiety.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

SECS = 6-12

MECS =12-24

HECS = 24-36

BECS =36+

I'm just posting this because you made quite a jump from SECS to BECS, I wasn't sure if you knew of the two in between and purposely skipped them, but I like your thinking.

I think SECS should be anywhere up to 6", MECS could up to 16". You're right on the money with the HECS, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

I'd lower HECS to 20" otherwise central park would only have 2 or 3 historic storms

Well there's a couple of issues I have with that. The first is Central Park has had 7 storms of 20.0 inches or more and 4 in the last 12 years so I don't know if I'd call that Historic. Throw in Feb 17, 2003 with 19.8 and Jan 26-27, 2011 with 19.0 and you make it 9 storms. The way they use to measure in Central Park either of those could have been over 20.

The other is Central Park is one isolated  location in a forecast area that goes out in about a 60 mile radius of Central Park. I don't have the exact figures, but I would guess there have been at least 20 storms in the last 20 years within a 60 mile radius of Central Park where at least some locations within that area have had 20 or more inches, so again good storms but hardly IMO historic.

I believe Bluewave or Don had a thread on that fairly recently. If it was someone else my apologies, it's a great thread.

• Like 1