Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

It's sleeting all the way up to New England. What a weird storm.

Also a weird winter - Many areas in states south of here have had more snow then NYC and the immediate suburbs so far this winter and we have no snow storms in sight . 5 - 10 degrees and bare ground tomorrow and as soon as its time to precip again temps go above freezing. Then another arctic blast next weekend ……….. wash rinse repeat....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Yes very true. Not sure how common it would be for both cities to receive heavy snow (no mixing for NYC) from the same system but I imagine its quite rare.

January 87 both cities saw heavy snow.  Ultimately we got burned in this storm by the initial poor high positioning and the approach angle of the system.  That allowed winds to go 080–100 yesterday afternoon which torched the lower layers. Had that high been anchored ever so slightly more east and the system approached from a slightly lower latitude those winds never veer and this is probably a January 94 repeat  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Also a weird winter - Many areas in states south of here have had more snow then NYC and the immediate suburbs so far this winter and we have no snow storms in sight . 5 - 10 degrees and bare ground tomorrow and as soon as its time to precip again temps go above freezing. Then another arctic blast next weekend ……….. wash rinse repeat....

yep very 80s like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

ugh, I hope you stay safe!  look on the positive side, at least you wont be shoveling!

oh, and gravity sucks :(

do you have a generator?

Yup. We got gas for it yesterday and we can run a few things with it but not the heat or well pump because we never got anyone to set up the wiring out of the breaker box. Know an available electrician? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

Yup. We got gas for it yesterday and we can run a few things with it but not the heat or well pump because we never got anyone to set up the wiring out of the breaker box. Know an available electrician? 

Sorry to hear that. That's one reason I won't live in the sticks. I want municipal water supply and sewerage, no septic tanks, no wells. And someone to pick up the garbage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

A few because I always have electrical problems out here and run all my electronics stuff by UPS because the voltage is unstable.  They all charge through the roof though lol and they all want me to redo all the wires in this house.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Sorry to hear that. That's one reason I won't live in the sticks. I want municipal water supply and sewerage, no septic tanks, no wells. And someone to pick up the garbage. 

Be careful in NJ, did you hear the latest reports that several counties in NE NJ have been found to have lead in the water above the acceptable level?  They are offering free water filters in the counties affected.

Personally I dont ever drink tap water or cook with it, I have a six stage filter on the main line.  Our water out here has been found to have pesticides in it.

Final snow tally 5.0 inches.

Changed to freezing rain and sleet about 1AM which has now compacted to 4.5 inches of snow,ice that I can walk on top of.

30.0 degrees after most of the  night in the low to mid 20's.

Not as much ice on the trees as you would think, I believe most must have fallen as sleet or ice pellets.

Pretty much what I expected except I still have power, for now.

2 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:
Final snow tally 5.0 inches.

Changed to freezing rain and sleet about 1AM which has now compacted to 4.5 inches of snow,ice that I can walk on top of.

30.0 degrees after most of the  night in the low to mid 20's.

Not as much ice on the trees as you would think, I believe most must have fallen as sleet or ice pellets.

Pretty much what I expected except I still have power, for now.

You probably got lucky it was so cold at the surface for the heaviest precip and droplets were half frozen for much of it as I believe @wdrag alluded to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Be careful in NJ, did you hear the latest reports that several counties in NE NJ have been found to have lead in the water above the acceptable level?  They are offering free water filters in the counties affected.

Personally I dont ever drink tap water or cook with it, I have a six stage filter on the main line.  Our water out here has been found to have pesticides in it.

Oh yes it's a problem for sure. But so is arsenic in well water, and wells here may have stuff in them from who knows what was dumped when.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Next storm to watch is next weekend but long ways out there.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

@weatherpruf I'm in the middle of a densely packed suburban neighborhood not 'out in the sticks'. We do have garbage pickup, got it a couple of years ago but there is no town water or sewer anywhere near, a bit along the main road through some of the towns but that's it. 

I didn't figure you were actually in the sticks, I know that some areas even in NJ are like that; but I have family in the sticks and this is a problem, they have to cart their own garbage to the town dump. What a pain in the neck. That's why I don't live in places like that. But even here in NJ places in Hunterdon County have well water and when there is a drought or power outage they are SOL. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I wonder why some were saying the storm is going south of Long Island lol

Looks  like the low is hugging the warm front right along the South Shore with JFK up to 46. This has to be one of the biggest coastal hugger track patterns from the fall into mid winter.

• Like 2

Just now, weatherpruf said:

I didn't figure you were actually in the sticks, I know that some areas even in NJ are like that; but I have family in the sticks and this is a problem, they have to cart their own garbage to the town dump. What a pain in the neck. That's why I don't live in places like that. But even here in NJ places in Hunterdon County have well water and when there is a drought or power outage they are SOL. 

Correct   2mi from the Appalachians Trail.  Beautiful here... but when power goes out, and trees need to be cleared.... its a problem. Last March it didn't get below 31F in those multi day outages, so homes could maintain enough heat to prevent pipes bursting.  Tonight, if power is out and there is no safe heating of the home, especially windward walls...there will be major consequences.  I'm pretty sure it will get down to -1F at our home in Wantage at sunrise Monday, with wind chill 20-30below.  NYC in a way lucky no snow cover.  btw, I think 1/21 will be coldest mean temperature here in nw Nj and ne PA since Feb 13, 2016 Later, Walt

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

About 48* here at 10am, with FOG and under 1/10mile Visibility.      If I use my imagination, I can make believe it is a 'whiteout' in progress.  Lol.

Just drove along expressway from ex. 58 to 68, temp still 37 so front hasn’t pushed north of there.  Actually down a degree in wading river to 36.