Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

19 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

how so?

There was a big Jan storm for some parts to the east and NJ coast....it was a much smaller deal out my way, 7 inches. And we had a Feb event in the midst of warmth. Then 2 missed March ones. In my area we need Jan and Feb to put up big snow numbers. Still hoping for a turnaround.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

18z RGEM is snoweier 

I am going on 55 yrs old and I can not ever remember a storm with arctic, low dew air banked just to our NW, N and over NNE, where a storm angling up from the SW came across PA - NNJ and rode across LI. Until this shows me it can happen, I will continue to call BS. The NW side has been eroding slowly SE the past few hours instead of blossoming out like a storm with a northerly track would feature. I will gladly eat humble pie tomorrow if this does not correct South. Not being a weenie. Just going by what I have seen happen all my life since I sat on a metal milk box on my front stoop in Brooklyn in the 1970s watching cirrus and wind direction to predict the weather days in advance at the tender age of 10.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

I am going on 55 yrs old and I can not ever remember a storm with arctic, low dew air banked just to our NW, N and over NNE, where a storm angling up from the SW came across PA - NNJ and rode across LI. Until this shows me it can happen, I will continue to call BS. The NW side has been eroding slowly SE the past few hours instead of blossoming out like a storm with a northerly track would feature. I will gladly eat humble pie tomorrow if this does not correct South. Not being a weenie. Just going by what I have seen happen all my life since I sat on a metal milk box on my front stoop in Brooklyn in the 1970s watching cirrus and wind direction to predict the weather days in advance at the tender age of 10.

Some years it just finds a way not to snow.

49 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

There is enough northly component to the wind here on the uws we will snow. But it’s now coming in like a wall which will cut down on amounts 

You're more confident than me. In NYC I think  maybe a brief wintry mix to start at best.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Some years it just finds a way not to snow.

I know and can live with the storm being a bust. It just makes no sense to me why the storm would climb so far north with an entrenched Arctic dome not going anywhere. Its not being blocked from sliding further underneath where there is less resistance. While I realize storms like to attack Arctic domes, they usually succeed as the high retreats. This high is in a stand your ground and suppress position. Hard to argue with the easterly component to the wind now from NYC South but the setup makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's a balmy 37/28 right now and way too much salt everywhere. 

It's so odd how everyone I talked to is expecting some big snowstorm, the media really hyped this up for no reason.

The supermarket was packed today and the shelves were empty compared to normal, it was ridiculous. They saw Winter Storm Watch yesterday and went bonkers. The writing was on the wall for the coastal region a couple of days ago. I'm just glad that the ice threat is gone now.

25 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Wow, a memory I had forgotten all about.  Also in mid 50's and I did the same thing.  Bundled up and sat on the metal milk box waiting for the clouds to move in and the first flakes to fall.

Life was simpler...no internet, you had to rely on the evening news, Accuweather discussions at 35 min after the hour,  a Radio Shack weather cube and the power of observation to try and figure out what was happening.  I'll bet 75% of the people on this board don't know what a milk box was used for.

Thanks for the memory!

2 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Can someone post or tell me where exactly the LOW is right now and how it looks in relation to what some models were saying,,, were any of them spot on with its current location

my forecast for your area.  Snow then sleet then rain changing back to sleet then snow briefly.  1-3" maybe 4" if very lucky.    enjoy :)

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

I am going on 55 yrs old ... since I sat on a metal milk box on my front stoop in Brooklyn in the 1970s watching cirrus and wind direction to predict the weather days in advance at the tender age of 10.

52. I did pretty much the same but being on the immediate south shore of LI watching the clouds was usually fruitless. Whenever we traveled out of the area I'd sit on the porch/deck/whatever and watch for hours. My family thought I was nuts.

7 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Wow, a memory I had forgotten all about.  Also in mid 50's and I did the same thing.  Bundled up and sat on the metal milk box waiting for the clouds to move in and the first flakes to fall.

Life was simpler...no internet, you had to rely on the evening news, Accuweather discussions at 35 min after the hour,  a Radio Shack weather cube and the power of observation to try and figure out what was happening.  I'll bet 75% of the people on this board don't know what a milk box was used for.

Thanks for the memory!

I had one of those too! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Thanks for the memory!

In the early 90's my neighbor still got milk deliveries in a milkbox. When I was a kid in the 70's many people had them on the front porch but they didn't use them.

11 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Thanks for the memory!

You are both wrong.... the milkbox was for keeping the snakes that you caught that your mom wouldn't let you bring in the house...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my forecast for your area.  Snow then sleet then rain changing back to sleet then snow briefly.  1-3" maybe 4" if very lucky.    enjoy

You want a prediction about the weather, I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.

• Haha 3