Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

1 minute ago, jfklganyc said:

Haha. That Flash Flood Watch is really the fat lady singing for this thread. Or is it the first rain drop?

3-6

2-4

Now 1-3

And there are a whole lot of people south and east of me

Maybe you didn't know this but the sub-forum goes a lot further West than Westechester County

• Like 2

Good call for those who were saying this would trend north at the end. SWFEs (which this pretty much is) usually do. Even Albany's getting cut back decently on snow amounts and State College is looking like it'll be a low-end warning level event rather than the 14-15" being called yesterday. We may still have the lead on Boston for seasonal snow after this. Might just be wall-to-wall rain for most on Long Island and NYC. Could even have thunder as the cold front comes east-looks like a pretty nasty line with that. 

Further inland especially around I-287 looks icy still due to the cold drain and NW of there still looks like a good thumping for a while before ice.

Two bad trends: the overrunning shooting over us so we waste the cold we currently have and the low trending further amped. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

18z NAM supports the flood watch-wow!

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_23.png

The frozen ground will worsen the flood threat down here since it won't soak in, and it's a dynamic system that could dump 2"+ rain. The frontal passage could be pretty wicked with thunder. It'll still be a nasty storm despite the cold and snow not happening down here. It's becoming primarily far upstate NY and NNE for the big snow. The SW flow out ahead of this just killed it for many. 

Good call for those who were saying this would trend north at the end. SWFEs (which this pretty much is) usually do. Even Albany's getting cut back decently on snow amounts and State College is looking like it'll be a low-end warning level event rather than the 14-15" being called yesterday. We may still have the lead on Boston for seasonal snow after this. Might just be wall-to-wall rain for most on Long Island and NYC. Could even have thunder as the cold front comes east-looks like a pretty nasty line with that. 

Further inland especially around I-287 looks icy still due to the cold drain and NW of there still looks like a good thumping for a while before ice.

Two bad trends: the overrunning shooting over us so we waste the cold we currently have and the low trending further amped. 

That’s life. We’ve gotten a lot of events in the past 25 years or so; some have hit some posters really hard (we need a new phrase to take place of “ripping”) while others not so much, but we’ve all gotten some nice snows.

This one just harkens back to my childhood. C’est la vie.

I just hope no one loses power or has damage from ice.

4 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Haha. That Flash Flood Watch is really the fat lady singing for this thread. Or is it the first rain drop?

3-6

2-4

Now 1-3

And there are a whole lot of people south and east of me

The ground is frozen so any rain that falls will run off creating flash floods. If there are a few inches of snow that also melt quickly with rising temps and rain there will be a lot of water running over the surface.

It's still below freezing here, never went above today. From what I've had a chance to look at in thinking 6-8 and a change to sleet unless the cold air to my NW stops pressing and allows a quick warm punch into the mid levels then the ice forecast (debacle) happens.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's a balmy 37/28 right now and way too much salt everywhere. 

It's so odd how everyone I talked to is expecting some big snowstorm, the media really hyped this up for no reason.

I don't know people I talked to casually in the bank etc this morning all seemed to know it was a bust down our way. But there is a state of emergency on, I guess for icing in northern parts of the state.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

I don't know people I talked to casually in the bank etc this morning all seemed to know it was a bust down our way. But there is a state of emergency on, I guess for icing in northern parts of the state.

The supermarkets were still crazy today down here. A lot of cautious folks after the November surprise snow. But this is one I'm pretty confident will be a washout by me. 

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

No offense but this was never really about East of the Hudson River. I thought the city and LI would see a few inches and I still think that possible but that area isn't the main concern.

I seem to remember Manhattan was in the game for awhile; my area, just south of there was always on the fringe of a few inches.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Ignore surface temperature trends at your own peril. It might not matter for LI and the city but it does for anyone N&W of where the GSP meets the Thruway.

I'm still definitely thinking there'll be a zone of nasty icing around I-287 and also maybe I-84 corridor. The cold surface air is pretty stout and while mid level warmth is usually undermodeled, surface cold is usually undermodeled too. Hopefully it's more sleet and less ZR. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The supermarkets were still crazy today down here. A lot of cautious folks after the November surprise snow. But this is one I'm pretty confident will be a washout by me. 

In retrospect it should have been obvious, but hope springs eternal. We are getting toward Feb now. Keep hearing things are gonna turn around, but I remember too many winters like this. Never know when below average snow will set in for a few years; seen multiple years without much.

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

In retrospect it should have been obvious, but hope springs eternal. We are getting toward Feb now. Keep hearing things are gonna turn around, but I remember too many winters like this. Never know when below average snow will set in for a few years; seen multiple years without much.

looked great going into this winter, but just cannot catch a break....(so far).

Just now, WarrenCtyWx said:

Well we had a decent storm in early December, a fairly large storm for coastal areas in early January, and an okay event for the interior in mid January. This year we've had little since the November event.

Ok--my memory fails me when it comes to weather.  The recall demonstrated by the members is impressive to say the least!