Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 19-20th Winter Storm Threat

Rjay

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Given WPC declaration of the 12Z NAM being an outlier (now confirmed with the Euro remaining warm/wet), I'd be surprised if the NWS doesn't drop the winter storm watches from the southernmost counties under them right now, like Upper Montco/Bucks and Hunterdon/Somerset from the NWS-Mt. Holly and Union/Essex (maybe)/Hudson/NYC/LI from the NWS-NYC.  I could see those locations getting winter weather advisories, since some snow/sleet is still being modeled (a few inches not up to 6"). The next tier N and W might stay watches or could be converted to warnings if they have high confidence in getting to 6" for most of their areas. Or maybe they have different assumptions and they won't budge (or at least not yet), since it's not only about models (they do have access to advanced data analysis and diagnostics tools that the public does not).   Just my opinion...

Completely wrong on my part.  I must say, I was questioning them strongly for 24 hours before 11/15, as they were ignoring the snowy models then and took too long to adjust and I'm afraid they're in store for that again.  But they're the pros and I'm not...

https://www.weather.gov/PHI

Map of Forecast Area

1 minute ago, Ericjcrash said:

ICON like everything else is a rainstorm, however it puts NYC well below 0 Monday morning .

icon_T2m_neus_23.png

Due to the snowpack to the north there is a slight chance but we are too far out.  Right now 850s are a bit short of what is needed but it’s doable sometimes in those instances if either a snowpack is in place or in this case a massive snowpack is located to the north.   Timing of coldest air is also right near sunrise  

Just now, North and West said:

Are you referring to New York City in and of itself in a rainstorm, or also the suburbs? Just making sure, since there's a lot of conflicting information. Thanks!

Yeah, but most of the sub forum is basically a rainstorm after a bit of snow. I believe you're going to have to go all the way to west Milford for any appreciable snow/ice.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Yeah, but most of the sub forum is basically a rainstorm after a bit of snow. I believe you're going to have to go all the way to west Milford for any appreciable snow/ice.

Thanks. At this stage in my life, I'm most concerned about losing power. Give me either snow or rain; ice will knock out the heat.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Completely wrong on my part.  I must say, I was questioning them strongly for 24 hours before 11/15, as they were ignoring the snowy models then and took too long to adjust and I'm afraid they're in store for that again.  But they're the pros and I'm not...

https://www.weather.gov/PHI

Map of Forecast Area

Wonder how much of it is them being gun-shy from the Nov debacle and erring on the side of caution.  I prefer accuracy over risk management.  

6 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Oh no? Comes in as 37° rain for NYC, ends as freezing drizzle. 

I think we got it.  From now on you can say It Gon Rain and move on.  I have no idea why you need to post how NYC will see a driving rainstorm every five minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't enthused by this one near the coast yesterday and aren't now. My call is the south shore getting up to a couple of inches before a washout, the north shore and northern NYC maybe a few inches and sleet before rain, and 6"+ starting west of the Tappan Zee Bridge, north of I-80 in NJ and inland CT. There it snows for a while before sleet and then icing. The signs are pointing fairly strongly towards the typical N/W favored storm that washes away any snow from the city and east/south. Perhaps a nasty flash freeze areawide though as it exits and drops the arctic hammer.